A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

insurance in new jersey, please help im in a dilemna(long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default insurance in new jersey, please help im in a dilemna(long)

I just bought an 2000 a6 in August, now of course I couldnt 0 percent interest rate on my own, because I dont really have any credit history. So my mom signs for me because she is making the almost 6 figure salary. Now here is when the problem begins, so she has to put down her insurance comp. since i dont have insurance she used her state farm policy. so I am not on her policy, and she refuses to put me on it. since I am under 25 and male she is afraid the rate is going to go sky high, and if I meet in a accident thats her ***. So does anyone know of any insurance company that I can get my own insurance at a reasonable premium, full coverage. I called one comp and they quoted me at 4,000 for the year. This is becoming a real problem(stress) cause now she takes my car and drives around sometimes because she says I have no insurance.
Old 11-08-2003, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In any state, for insurance rates under 25, your toast....

There is not a whole lot you can do as a male, under-25 driver in this country. The insurance
actuaries factor this demographic as the highest risk driver, when setting policy rates. Added to this calculation is your selected vehicle-the hotter the car with an under-25 driver at the wheel, the worse the premiums. There are worse cars out there than an A6, as far as youtful insurance rates. But if you were registering a Corolla instead of an A6, you would likely see a significantly lower premium. As a fellow Jersey driver, our home state is legendary for not exactly being hospitable to drivers and automobile insurance. NJ is actually one of the worse states in the union in terms of the insurance rates we have to pay.

The best insurance company in this state, without a doubt, is New Jersey Manufacturers. Customer service quality is without equal. They are located in West Trenton, tel. 800-232-6600.
They reward good drivers with lowest rates in the state. Plus there is an annual dividend as a reward for accident-free driving. This amount is typically 15% of your policy premium. The company is kind of run like a co-op for members, and that is one reason for the great rates. The catch-not everyone is eligble to join. Elgibility is usually linked to belonging to some sort of union, or working for a corporation whose employees are approved by NJM for joining. So the question for you is to find out whether the company your mother works for is on the NJM "approved list". If her company is on that list, and she is willing to switch from State Farm, then you will likely be able to get a much better deal for family auto insurance, than previously quoted by any other underwriter in this state.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Try Progressive Insurance they were very reasonable when I was in my early 20's
Old 11-08-2003, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default don't worry about it...drive the car

if you get in an accident, since the car itself is insured (under your mom), you're covered. But if you do get into an accident you're gonna have to start your own policy so that your mom's insurance won't go up. Until you get into an accident you're fine. If you get pulled over nothing happens because the insurance won't know about it.
Old 11-08-2003, 01:54 PM
DWP
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't think that's wise.

Just because Mom listed her insurer on the finance papers when she bought the car does NOT mean it is covered. She has to advise her insurer, and you can bet they will ask who is the primary driver, and then all heck will break loose.

What kind of Mom would sign for financing and then take advantage of the insurance situation to keep her kid from driving the car?
Old 11-08-2003, 02:46 PM

Default Well,

if you can't afford the insurance, you can't afford the car. Sorry to be an assh*le, but it's true. What are you going to do when one of the $7k turbos needs to be replaced?
Old 11-08-2003, 03:30 PM

Default If the car is titled in your name...

then the policy has be in your name. So, if the car is in your name, you can't put it on your mom's policy. Also, if you do and they don't know you're driving it and something happens, you mom's in trouble. They could deny the loss for either reason. Call Progressive and pay the premium. You normally get price breaks at age 21 & 25.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That's also a good point....

And a reputable car dealer will generally advise a younger driver to go and check out an insurance quote, before closing a transaction for a specific car. Looks like that did not happen, in this case.
Old 11-09-2003, 01:56 AM
Former Vendor

Default If your driving record is clean,call up NJ Manufacturer's

Insurance. They are almost always the lowest priced in NJ.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: insurance in new jersey, please help im in a dilemna(long)

thanks for your input everyone, deeply appreciated.

Quick Reply: insurance in new jersey, please help im in a dilemna(long)