A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Interesting thing happened on the way home from work yesterday (freeway on ramp)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2002, 02:00 PM
Craggy Old Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting thing happened on the way home from work yesterday (freeway on ramp)

Wah heading home, South 57 heading for the East 91 and the connector is a circular ramp last 1/3 slightly downhill and decreasing radius.
Well traffic was moving and about 100 yards before the long entrance to the connector a BMW 3 series ???(could tell from checking rear view every so often) was coming up fast and then was right on my bumper. I could not even see the emblem or front grill of the car it was so close, and we were doing ~60-65mph.
The only had a couple of cars and they were almost at the end of it, so I just drove slow like I normally drive and maybe entered the turn at ~40mph(3rd gear Tip). THe other car was still glued to my bumper and I was thinking fine, you get what you get. I entered the turn and was slowly giving it throttle and the car was still there, I give it more throttle and car is now maybe 1 car length back. Gave it more gas and apexed nicely and knew it was decreasing radius so was under full control. I couldnt see the other car in the mirror for a sec and then I heard , scrrreeeeeccchhhhhh and in the rear mirror I saw the car sliding to the curb area and smack it with the rear wheel, I dont think the fronts got hit.
ALl I can think is that since he was so close he didnt take his line and fixated on my car trying to prove he could ride my *** and misjudged the last part of the turn( the decreasing part) and lost control, oversteer and crunch. What an *** for following that close and he is lucky that he only damaged his car and didnt hurt anyone else.
All this took place probably under 50-55 mph if that fast! S-03's didnt even chirp till the very end of the turn when under full throttle just before I started to accelerate to merge onto the 91.
Old 05-10-2002, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Justice! Victory!
Old 05-10-2002, 02:12 PM

Another one bites the dust.
Old 05-10-2002, 02:34 PM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Default Bwahahahah...

...I never thought I'd hear so many "suckered 'em" stories like I've heard on AudiWorld. If you've been to the track there are some things you know how to do that other drivers don't. It sounds like that was another "other driver". I haven't yet been able to make somebody wreck behind me trying to keep up. DAMNIT! =P
Old 05-10-2002, 03:09 PM

Re: Awesome Universal Driving Instrument!!!!
Old 05-10-2002, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default That reminds me of one ...

One time after band camp (or something like that), my buddy was following me up 128N in his late 80s Camaro. It has a big V-8 in it, so it does pretty well on the straights. It also corners well, but has sucky brakes. Anyway, he was just following me, and our exit was a short right followed by a straight and then another right before it merges into traffic.

So, I took the first corner, accelerated down the straight, and then brake for the last corner. As I am braking before the final turn, I hear this tire sqealing sound, and I am looking around to see where it is coming from. When I looked in my mirror, I saw my friend's Camaro, not the front of it, but the drivers door (it was about 45 degrees offline) about half of a car length behind me. A second later I saw the passenger door, and then the drivers door again, until he just managed to recover into the final turn. I think he was pretty lucky to save it, and fortunately we were able to have a good laugh about it afterwards. There were guard rails on both sides, so he really was pretty lucky.

If you think the brakes don't match the engines well today, the situation was a lot worse back in the 80s. With the tires and brakes we have now, you would think people in **** boxes would know enough not to follow so closely.
Old 05-10-2002, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I know that ramp. Love it ! How about Weir Canyon N to the 91 W onramp ? Wide, smooth, decreasing

radius, and starts out banked, but ends up flat. Mmmmmmmmm.
Old 05-10-2002, 04:17 PM
Craggy Old Man

Default The Savi ranch side,,: ) . A tricky one is the Lakeview N ,91W on ramp

Really sucks it in towards the end and a little downhill, can carry way too much speed on that one. : )
April , the Alfa club needs to do a Drivers School on the Big track at Willow and not always the Streets. Throw some influence around and try to make that happen!! : )
Old 05-10-2002, 04:43 PM

A Classic "Tank Slapper" !!!!! Dang those happen fast on those cars!
Old 05-10-2002, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Just come to a Time Trial with us ! Next one is Button Willow on June 1st and 2cd.

We use the WHOLE track. Not just one of the loops. Nice facilities.<ul><li><a href="http://www.calclub.com/buttonwi.htm">http://www.calclub.com/buttonwi.htm</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: Interesting thing happened on the way home from work yesterday (freeway on ramp)