A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

It's a sad yet joyful day.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's a sad yet joyful day.

I'm still in a state of shock, as earlier today I sold the best car I've ever owned. Actually, I entered into an "agreement" with a buyer; the actual exchange of check for car won't take place until tomorrow evening. He's a serious buyer, however, and the only reason we didn't finalize everything today is because the banks aren't open. To those of you who have not ever been in the back seat of your A6 while a stranger is test-driving it, I've got to tell you it's a weird feeling. I didn't enjoy it one bit. Anyway, in just over 24 hours I will no longer be among the group of proud A6 owners.

That's the sad part. Of course, there's a bit more to the story. The VERY good news is that I'll be back in the club on Saturday, just 6 days from now. That's the day I'll be picking up my brand new, currently-still-in-the-plastic-and-never-test-driven-by-anyone 2003 4.2 Sport. I'm so excited I can't stand it. I found it in stock at Rector Motors (Burlingame, CA); it was in their off-site bullpen, so their lot trollers never even knew it was there. Lucky me, as the car is configured pretty much exactly as I would have ordered it - Ming Blue, Platinum, Sport Package, Premium Package, and Cold Weather Package. I've seen the car, even sat it it, and it's gorgeous. I'm having Clear Armor put on the front bumper and hood before I even drive it home, as I've figured out that I'd much rather deal with the faint lines than with stone chips.

FWIW, the only reason I went ahead with this is because I got a deal that was simply too good to pass up. I got the 4.2 for a mere $850 over invoice, and that's <i>before </i>backing out the Audi Loyalty money of $1750. Anyone in the Bay Area who's looking for an new Audi, I can tell you that the guys at Rector are dealing big-time. I got my deal without needing to haggle one bit. This is the second new Audi I've bought there; my salesperson both times was David Leibenson. Both he and the dealership are wonderful to work with and I recommend them highly.

That's my news for today. I'll post pix of the new arrival next weekend.
Old 06-15-2003, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

congrats...and remember the pics.
Old 06-15-2003, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Great news on both counts! I suspected deals could be had even more easily now than when I bought..

You got your deal for $1k less than mine, net after incentive.

One thought occurs to me... Do remember that even a cashiers check is not good until their bank pays your bank. It isn't as good as cash. I would take precautions to make sure that it cleared before the car was handed over, such as going to his bank to pick up the hard cash.

I would do the same as you regarding the clear coating on the front. The fronts of the wheel wells, at least in the front of the car, need it too.

Ming will give you a bit grief trying to keep out fine scratches. Some tips I've gathered, some the hard way:

Wash with a real wool mit, as from Griot's. The microfiber can hold onto fine grit and leave fine scratches. I think the microfiber drying towels (like Griot's or the "big blue" ones from <a href="http://www.properautocare.com/index.html">Classic Motoring Accessories</a> seem to do a good job, although some people trust the microfiber synthetic chamois (used damp) even more. I start with the latter, finish with the former.

When you wash, use a strong spray at first to get off as much grit as possible. This keeps grit out of the mit. Of course, I rinse the mit in clean water before dunking it into the bucket of soap again.

I then switch to filtered water, using two calcium inhibitors from Arizona Mist, Orbit Irrigation Products (800-488-6156-1-4) because our water is full of calcium.

Don't dust the car after any road grit gets on it. I just dust lint off, or pollen, but not true soil dust. I'm concerned it adds fine spider web scratches. This means that after a couple of days after a wash, I stop dusting it.

When I get a bird dropping on the car, I use simple water and blot with a shop towel. Any follow-up rubbing and I use a microfiber handcloth.

Wax a little more often than you would for a lighter car. I've continued to use AJ's in San Jose, mostly because by back can't tolerate much car maintenance.

If you get sprinkler (tap water) splash on your car, try to rinse it with distilled water ASAP. A couple of bucks of water is worth avoiding a wax or polish job. If it dries, get it washed and if necessary stripped with chemicals or even polished as soon as possible. I suspect that acids in the water can leech into the paint over time, which Albert at AJ's confirms.

After a year or more, you may wish to add a glaze to your wax job, even after ordinary washes. This tends to hide the fine spider webs.

I don't know if these wheels survive a track car wash. Never wanted to try, for this and other reasons.

You'll love the 2003. I drove the 2002 and it was a small but noticeable step up from my 2001 in ride, handling, and perhaps in power. Certainly, the transmission shifts a bit better.

Let me know when you are in the area, and I'll meet you at work or at my house!
Old 06-15-2003, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I present...the Greatness that is Troy H!!

Belive it or not. I actually do most of this<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext51.shtml">https://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext51.shtml</a</li></ul>
Old 06-15-2003, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What a difference two years make...when I got (ordered) my 4.2 it was MSRP all the way. Congrats!!!

It actually ended up being under MSRP, but what a <i>fight</i> to get there...and I didn't know then about Rector...no more Palo Alto for me...

Very exciting...you should try to get some pics of it in its travel clothes. After waiting three months for the delivery, I saw mine still plastic-clad on the lot and wished later that I'd taken pics of it sitting out on there that way.

Looking forward to your delivery-day tale!
Old 06-15-2003, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Great !!! Congrats.. It be a smoove masheeen you know..

I'll be interested to see if the tiptronic has the same slipping weirdness mine has..Enjoy!
Old 06-15-2003, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I haven't seen any one person who gets all the detailing details right...

For example, that link talks about polishing, which really should only be done when necessary as a last resort, AFAIAC, at least if you plan to keep the car more than a couple years.

Too many people overdo their car care, causing loss of clear-coat and more fine scratches (which they don't notice because they glaze it so often). The car isn't metal, so "polishing" in the true sense of the word isn't good; you are trying to protect what you have, not abrade it away. (Clay is different, as are solvents to remove tars and such, both always followed by waxing.) The watch word is "conservative."

You know how most people think they got a good car deal, but few actually did? Same goes for car care. Everyone is proud of their own ritual and results, but only some actually achieve superior results. The rest are doing more harm than good. (I usually don't have the heart to tell a guy that his all-day wax job doesn't come close to a $90 job at AJ's).

I haven't read the rest of Troy's article, so I can't comment.

My message (two above) was just hitting a few items that may be non-obvious and are important with dark paints.

I've gathered lots of links on the subject of care and detailing:<ul><li><a href="http://www.netwiz.net/~jds/files/a6_links.html#care">http://www.netwiz.net/~jds/files/a6_links.html#care</a</li></ul>
Old 06-15-2003, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Jeez, what a jump...

shoulda got a 2.7 ;-p
Old 06-15-2003, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

congrats!!!
Old 06-15-2003, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the Four-Deuce Club!! You made a great call, one you will NOT regret. I promise.

Quick Reply: It's a sad yet joyful day.