A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

I've got a big issue with Audi denying to pay for a torque converter.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've got a big issue with Audi denying to pay for a torque converter.

Posting this on the A6 board as well as we share the same platform and is a bit more active. I have a 2001 allroad and had it in for a check engine light showing codes 18032 and 17125 torque converter clutch. So I tell the dealership to check the torque converter as this is my last warranty service stop. I had 49,800 miles at the time. The dealership replaces a temp sender clears codes and I'm on my way. The next day I hit 50K warranty over. Then a week later I get the MIL check engine light again. I hook up the VAG and sure enough same codes as above. So I immediately call for a service appointment which took a few weeks to get as I needed a loaner, I'm up to 52,000 miles now when I drop it off yesterday (Wednesday). The dealership calls me today and says they were on the tech line as well as with a rep much of the day, the torque converter needs replaced and according to the rep they are willing to pick up 75% of the cost, my cost is only 25% but its flippin $600! I'm pretty hot right now! I called an Audi Customer Advocate and opened a file but she basically said that if the dealership talked to who the advocate thinks she talked to then there is likely nothing she can do. So I need some help here guys, what do you suggest. I knew it was the torque converter at the warranty stop and a week later after I'm out of warranty their repair doesnt hold and now I need a new converter, no way is this fair... it should be covered 100% as they didn't fix it right the first time. Rep said because of the mileage they wont do 100%. Any suggestions or contacts greatly appreciated.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Directly related to what you brought it in for. Why can't they "carryover?" You've got the proof.

Although $600 ain't bad, I'd still try to fight for it.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Remind them that you have almost $100k of Audi sitting in your driveway
Old 05-05-2005, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Should be covered because you have proof that they tried to fix it during the warranty period

This is so clear cut in your favor. They acknowledge it by agreeing to pay 75%. Try again with them. If that does not work, get an attorney friend to send them letter.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I agree w/Fairfax

try again. If you have the service record from the first visit that has the codes on it and their resolution, you have a really good case. This could be AoA just doing the normal first call denial. Push on them a little harder. Also ask to talk the dealer service manager and the dealer GM. Explain the situation and ask them to push it from their end too. Explain nicely that they messed up and they should make it right.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default You brought to their attention that it was the torque converter clutch with all fault codes...

and the car was still under warranty when you told them of the problem. They fail to fix the problem and just did a bandage fix, as per norm. So the car is still under warranty until they fix the problem out right, doesn't matter if it has 50,60,70K on it, you advised them of the problem while the car was still under warranty and they failed to fix it.

Don't pay them a single cent for their incomptence! they f*&ked up and want you to go halves on the bill, tell them to sick it!! and if they don't like it advise them you will see them in small claims court.

I just had the same kind of issue with my car. Result was they ate the total bill and still had to fix the problem with my thottle valve control module which was covered under warranty but not according to Audi....they lost that battle.

Don't give an inch, you are in the right! they are wrong. Audi dealerships are good at trying to hood wink their customers because of their poor maintenance practices.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seems like the only reason it wasn't repaired under the warranty period

was their failure to fully diagnose the problem.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:16 PM
Elder Member

exactly.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default They should have pulled the codes when you were in the first time.

There should be a record of that in your file.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yep, 50k and the trans goes south is crazy....

They should definitely cover the trans 100%. Agree , you complained about it before the warranty ended. File a formal complaint with AOA, in writing. Remind them, that possibly a car that costs about 50k(and +) should be able to keep its main components alive till 100k(at least!!!).

Quick Reply: I've got a big issue with Audi denying to pay for a torque converter.