A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Jumbled Display on Radio

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2000, 05:56 AM
Brian

Default Jumbled Display on Radio

I have a 99 A6Q with the Bose stereo. Every once in a while when I turn the radio on, I get a jumbled display - random dots, numbers missing etc. The only thing that fixes it is turning off the car and restarting. Anybody else out there having similar problems?
Old 02-04-2000, 06:08 AM
Matth

Default Re: Jumbled Display on Radio

The exact same problem in the same car (99A6FW.....no real pattern to the problem, except that I have been parking my car outside and the weather has been colder than normal.(remodeling, contractor is hogging the gargage). Anybody have any suggestions?
Old 02-04-2000, 10:38 AM
Bart A. Lane

If you both are getting this only during cold weather then chances are you just have frozen and slow reacting LED syndrome. It is typical until it warms up. Some LED displays tend to more affected than others though. I don't know of a cure other than to keep your car in a garage.
Old 02-04-2000, 11:54 AM
Brian

I've only had the problem in cold weather. (I live in the Boston area). But, the car is garaged where the temp stays above freezing. I wonder if it's worth getting the dealer to replace the radio.
Old 02-04-2000, 02:08 PM
by

i had similar problem on my 99a6q 2.8 avant - it
would happen intermittently in cold weather on
startup. it happened 3 or 4 times over a couple
weeks then everything is ok now. the last few weeks here in toronto has been really cold (below -20c) and display is fine.
Old 02-04-2000, 08:25 PM
John

It is most probably the cold weather. That is very typical of LED's when they get very cold. And not exclusive to AUDI.
Old 02-05-2000, 12:24 PM
Quikor

Default I thought only LCD`s would be slow.....

not an LED. A LED is a solid state device isn`t it?
Old 02-05-2000, 12:37 PM
PaulC

Default Re: Jumbled Display on Radio - long

John
I have exactly the same problem on my April 99 A6Q with Bose Radio. It goes in next week for replacement radio.

I don't agree with it being a problem with the LEDs themselves because this display is a matrix of dots and the fault shows up as random rearrangment of dots rather than not lighting up at all in a particular segment. Consequently it's more likely to be a problem in the circuitry driving the LED display sending scrambled instructions rather than the display itself.

I agree also that turning just the radio on and off does not clear the problem whereas turning the ignition on and off does. This suggests that the LED driver circuitry in the radio is getting latched up in a wacky mode by interference coming from elsewhere in the vehicle.

My car is garaged at 40F min but it has only done it when starting up in the morning since the snow started here in Boston. Personally I think it's the Quattro drive computer getting over excited about going out in the snow to go show-off it's superior performance against the guy down the road with his Ford Excessive (my name for the Expedition)!!!!!!