A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Message from local PD: We have complaints about your driving habits...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Message from local PD: We have complaints about your driving habits...

So I get to my dorm room saturday and have a message on my machine. "Hi this is the Officer blah blah blah from the PD. We have received complaints about your driving habits. Please call us back at blah blah blah to discuss the matter."

I call them back and ask to speak to the person that called me. The guy goes, "oh yea that was me." He goes on to ask me if i was travelling on a street around here at around 5. I reply that I don't remember but I was driving around so i might've been there. Apparently some lady thought i cut her off and called the police. WTF?!?! This is what happened. I had to get over a lane to get into this one lane intersection. I don't know the area well so i didn't merge ahead of time. I get to where i need to merge, show my signal, and attempt to merge. None of the *******s want to let me in and this woman decides to peel out and tailgate just so i dont get in. I hit the pedal a bit and merged in front of her, not cutting her off at all, just merging fast. The bitch went crazy and started honking and flashing me. She called the cops and reported me as cutting everyone off and driving aggresively.

My question is...how the hell did the cops find my dorm phone number (my car is registered with the university under my name but the car is in my mom's name at home, this occured off university property)? What right do they have to call me up and complain about my driving habits when they didn't witness anything?

Anyway, the cop conversation ended with me asking him "Ok...i don't remember cutting anyone off. I might've merged over but that's legal. So what now?" The response was "well the lady didn't want to come in for a statement, and i didnt see it so i can't give you a ticket. I just want to warn you and thank you for calling back."

Could he actually have given me a ticket if that bitch came in for a statement?? What the hell i feel violated.

Sorry for the rant it just pissed me off and i wanted some opinions.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Not that it would stick
Old 11-15-2004, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 20 years ago had the same type of thing happen to me. (I used to drive very poorly)

The Officer admitted that...even if the person makes a statement, they can't write you a ticket.

What they can do is use it as an excuse to pull you over and check every dang thing on your car.... including you, but unless the officer finds something wrong, or see you do something himself, no ticket... at least in MN.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It seems like a form of road rage let it go. She'll get hers some day.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

that's the problem...it's a small freakin city, i don't want to be blacklisted and get tint tickets
Old 11-15-2004, 09:25 AM

Even if she file complaint, it's still her word against yours. Can't be proven, IMHO.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Seems unlikely that they could ticket you just because someone judged your driving to be reckless.

Now if 5 people called in on the same incident and said someone was driving recklessly, they would (and should) get in trouble.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Exactly, it's highbrow road rage...let it slide.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I listen to a police scanner, and this sort of thing happens all the time.

I think some people have the cops on speed dial on their cellphones and call at the slightest provocation. I live in a small town/rural area and became a "known" entity. My car sticks out like a sore thumb amid the pickups and SUV's. The sheriffs would stop on the road behind my house and stare at me while I was washing it. Other times they would hit their radar even if I was stopped just to screw with me because they knew I had a radar detector. Fortunately, they've found something better to do with there time lately.