A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

More Weird Electric Windows

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Weird Electric Windows

This has to be the most confusing set-up. Has anyone any experience of an electric window that will go down but not up?

The passenger side window on my 1999 A6 Avant 2.8Q has opened fully and refuses to respond to either passenger or driver's door switch or the remote locking.

When I removed the motor and re-connected it, it would only run one way - down. I stripped the motor and cleaned it thoroghly.

When I re-connected the motor it started to run in the upwards direction without using the switch, so I now know the motor will run in both directions. Operating the switch stopped the motor but any movement of the wiring loom would re-start the motor in the upward direction. The connector looks a really bad design and prone to shorting. However, I checked that each connection was good and the motor has gone back to only running in one direction.

This makes no sense at all and I have disconnected the motor all together.

Can anyone help?

Also, can anyone help with info about removing the door switch? Apart from a small hole on the underside of the armrest there doesn't appear to be any access to the switch.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default That usually indicates a broken window guide.

You can usually help it up to close it. BTDT.

The reason that it won't go up is that when you hit the up button, the window jams enough to trigger the pinch protection feature.

When you get new guides, make sure that you get the new pink ones that are metal reinforced. You do NOT want the green or blue ones, or you will need to replace them again down the road.

I think someone else did a writeup on the replacement procedure. It shouldn't be to hard to find with a search.

BTW, also make sure that your car has had the LQ recall done. Part of that recall was to replace the window guides.

HTH!
Old 08-27-2005, 02:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: More Weird Electric Windows

Nice idea and thanks for the prompt reply, but the window guides are fine.

I "jury-rigged" the motor and the window moves smoothly in both directions.

It shows al the symptoms of a short in the connector to the motor but it doesn't show up on a continuity test so I don't know what else to do.