A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Need Advice - Crazy Vibration with throttle applied - CVT

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 09:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you get the vibration in all gears? I can be on the highway and it will shake a little when I'm in that rpm range.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Update:
I put new tires all around and the vibration is still there.

It starts when I'm applying the throttle starting even at 15 mph or so...
Old 01-24-2011, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would guess that they did the alignment wrong or something. you should have gotten another alignment instead of tires. easy way of checking if its tires is to rotate them. if nothing changed then its not the tires
Old 01-24-2011, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also, your control arms should start going bad about now, so you might what to check them out. lift one front tire at a time off the ground, grab it on both sides at various positions, and try hard to move it while watching control arms, if you notice non smooth movements or grease leaking or anything bent too much or touching the sides, thats a problem. also, make sure your front sway bar and sway bar links are good and the right way and all.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by badinstincts
also, your control arms should start going bad about now, so you might what to check them out. lift one front tire at a time off the ground, grab it on both sides at various positions, and try hard to move it while watching control arms, if you notice non smooth movements or grease leaking or anything bent too much or touching the sides, thats a problem. also, make sure your front sway bar and sway bar links are good and the right way and all.
I tend to think that this might be my problem, or otherwise possibly the driveshaft at the right hand side (because I feel the vibration from there).
Old 01-25-2011, 08:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here is a video that I took:
http://www.facebook.com/video/video....omments&ref=nf

There is certainly a clanking noise and a lot of movement (rotating the wheel).
Other than that there isn't too much play from the suspension.

I also noticed that the boot was cut and all the grease had leaked out - but is this a reason for vibration?

Anyways I just ordered a new drive shaft...
Old 01-30-2011, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just wondering if you figured out your Vibration yet. I had a Vibration in My S4 with the automatic. Had a garage that works on Audi's check the codes ( No charge ) and it come up that the torque converter was not engaging properly. The mechanic said it's a common problem.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just wanted to report back that after changing my driveshaft the vibration went away.

Thank you for your support guys!
Old 11-18-2011, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Did you replace the center driveshaft, or one of the drive axles to fix the vibration?
Old 03-13-2013, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm in the same boat, same symptoms, already replaced both drive shafts and the vibration has not gone away. 2007 FWD A6. I'm not 100% convinced its the transmission issue yet, the reason being is that once i replaced the left drive shaft there was a slight change in vibration. Is there anything else I should be looking at? Here is some more info:

-vibration only under load
-heavy vibration when accelerating from 50 to 80km/h,
-no vibration when going over 120km/h

Any info would be much appreciated.

At this point I really need as much help as I can get.
Here is the issue.
Audi 2002 A6 3.0 CVT

Crazy vibration even at low speeds (30 mph and up to 80+mph) when throttle is applied.
It seems like coming from he right side of the front wheel.

Even though the cult-print of the phenomenon doesn't seem to suggest that the wheels have a balance issue, I had a shop lifting the car checking the wheels.

background information
1) The car just had alignment - I though that they forgot to tight the alignment bolts or something like that but when I took it back to the shop they said that aliment can't do that and that it's probably the transmission (?)

2) I have the CVT transmission - I tried switching from auto to manual and to different gears - the vibration intensity is the same regardless.

3) The car is FWD and I had a blown tire so I was using a different size tire in the front right wheel. One of these days it was raining and I experienced torque steer while accelerating in straight line. I kind of kept my foot in throttle instead of backing off so now I'm wondering if I damaged the engine mounts.

Just to clarify I now have the vibration with same size wheels at the front (I put the rear wheels at the front and the front to the rear until I get my new tire).

Is broken engine mounts something common in A6s? How can I test for that? I know in manual cars you put the car in first gear and you release the clutch while applying the brakes - I can do the same on my CVT but I just want to check the common knowledge here since I know that these transmissions are a bit sensitive.

What else do you think it can be?
Do you have to suggest anything else to test?
I love my car but a new CVT tranny is like $9K so I need to figure out whats going on and if I need to get rid of my baby :-( .

Thanks,
Chris[/QUOTE]