A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Need Cam Pos Sensor Advice on Avant Project

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 02:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is "service position"
Old 02-28-2012, 07:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by clintmn
It's to position the car for doing major service - like a TB(timing belt) job:
Removing 12 bolts/nuts to take off front bumper.
And then removing another 10/12 screws/bolts to remove the center radiator core.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:26 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by ncotter
And then removing another 10/12 screws/bolts to remove the center radiator core.

"Remove" is probably too strong a word. You basically unbolt the radiator support and move it forward.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clintmn
It is Audi's understanding that it is impossible to work on the front of the engine because the radiator and everything is to close, so they designed a "easy" way to do it. The entire front carrier with radiator and all can be slide forward about 6 inches and only the rad hoses need to be disconnected. All other wires and lines have enough extra flex to reach out.

First time will take a bit, but once you know how to do it "service position" can be had in 30 minutes.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:54 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by 5v/cyl
It is Audi's understanding that it is impossible to work on the front of the engine because the radiator and everything is to close, so they designed a "easy" way to do it. The entire front carrier with radiator and all can be slide forward about 6 inches and only the rad hoses need to be disconnected. All other wires and lines have enough extra flex to reach out.
No need to disconnect the lower rad hose. Just the hood release cable and upper rad hose.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

You're welcome. It's infuriating when a new part is defective and there is no way to know ahead of time. In this case you positively identified the cps as the problem when you moved the fault; under that condition replacing the moved cps and finding no joy is an absolute indicator of a faulty new part. Hope they gave you a new part and paid for shipping.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 17746 P1338 17800 P1392 I had to Change both CPS sensors-China And Germany dont talk

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
You're welcome. It's infuriating when a new part is defective and there is no way to know ahead of time. In this case you positively identified the cps as the problem when you moved the fault; under that condition replacing the moved cps and finding no joy is an absolute indicator of a faulty new part. Hope they gave you a new part and paid for shipping.
It turned out that the part was good all along(my parts guy is local), but the best I can determine is that the new bosch-chinese cam position sensor dont play nice with the original factory(made in Germany) CPS. Because after:
- Moving the original factory(made in Germany) CPS with 155K miles from Bank 2 to Bank 1 and NOT getting an error code 17746/P1338, AND
- Moving the Bosch-chinese to Bank 2 and having the error code follow it, I checked two more brand-new bosch-chinese CPS's on Bank 2 and got the same error code 17800/P1392.

It's possible that the original factory CPS might be establishing the "signal standard" for what the ECU was expecting to receive relative to the cams' positioning - either the Bosch-chinese signal was too weak or too strong of a signal compared to that standard. So the ECU called "foul" and rejected the Bosch CPS.

When I changed-out both Banks to the Bosch-chinese CPS, cleared my codes, and rescanned the errors didnt come back. Maybe that's why I've been reading in posts here how new CPS dont always eliminate the error code when you only change one of them.

In the pics you can see how the audi rings stamped on the German part differentiates it from the bosch part.

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/e...ction=organize

Thanks to everyone for their help on this - now I can get on with the engine/tranny pull so I can bother you techs with more Qs.

(I revised the Post title in case someone else is having a similar CPS compatibility problem.)
Old 03-05-2012, 05:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Fixed the pictures link here...

Originally Posted by ncotter
It turned out that the part was good all along(my parts guy is local), but the best I can determine is that the new bosch-chinese cam position sensor dont play nice with the original factory(made in Germany) CPS. Because after:
- Moving the original factory(made in Germany) CPS with 155K miles from Bank 2 to Bank 1 and NOT getting an error code 17746/P1338, AND
- Moving the Bosch-chinese to Bank 2 and having the error code follow it, I checked two more brand-new bosch-chinese CPS's on Bank 2 and got the same error code 17800/P1392.

It's possible that the original factory CPS might be establishing the "signal standard" for what the ECU was expecting to receive relative to the cams' positioning - either the Bosch-chinese signal was too weak or too strong of a signal compared to that standard. So the ECU called "foul" and rejected the Bosch CPS.

When I changed-out both Banks to the Bosch-chinese CPS, cleared my codes, and rescanned the errors didnt come back. Maybe that's why I've been reading in posts here how new CPS dont always eliminate the error code when you only change one of them.

In the pics you can see how the audi rings stamped on the German part differentiates it from the bosch part.

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee271/njcotte/

Thanks to everyone for their help on this - now I can get on with the engine/tranny pull so I can bother you techs with more Qs.

(I revised the Post title in case someone else is having a similar CPS compatibility problem.)