A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Need complete and final answer to the tranny "thump" question

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well, the 03's have different tip software and they did eliminate the thump.

I have come to the conclusion that the tiptronic trannies in these cars are the worst performing trans I've ever driven, .. hands down.. If you drive any other ZF tip like the porsches, there is none of this nonsense. I would suggest you mention to your service manager that you have driven an 03 and this problem has been fixed.. so you demand the fix.. be careful tho, you may not like the "fixed" version as I feel the 03 software is designed for grandma's driving styles.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Wow - LOTS of people are mad about this. My opinion is just that....

it's an opinion, nothing more, nor less.

Yours may be different-that's fine....one man's foible is another man's deal-breaker. That's OK, though.

To everyone who HATES the car and the trans performance, SELL THE CAR, and buy something you enjoy driving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Life's too short to get your undies in a bundle every time you get in your ride. There are lots of other cars with different strengths that you might appreciate more.

The rest of us will enjoy every mile..

Oh, and don't suggest that I'm less than intelligent for not being that bothered by the problem. I said that I tried to get it taken care of, and Audi didn't. I know what the next step would be, how long it would take, and the likely outcome, so I chose not to proceed.

NEWS FLASH: 2.7Ts NOT PERFECT - FILM AT ELEVEN!

;-)
Old 09-16-2003, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ah, yes, the ol' KCI bug (keyboard-chair interface)...
Old 09-16-2003, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I don't think it's a mechanical problem, I think it's with the software...

I have the same problem in my '01 and, from what I've read, it's most likely an issue with the software in the TCU, which some have had upgraded with mixed results. Mine, for example, seems to have the latest revision of code, yet I still have the problem. It's one of the most difficult parts about driving a drive-by-wire car like ours - sometimes you change your mind about what you want to do and the computer(s) can't adapt fast enough. The nice thing about my $25,000 Subaru is that it's not trying to do anything I don't explicitly tell it to do. My Audi is constantly trying to do what it THINKS I want it to do and, most of the time, it's right. But sometimes, I fool it by letting off the gas and then trying to accelerate unexpectedly. In situations where this is likely to occur (approaching a corner, stop and go traffic, etc.), I just slap it over into Tiptronic mode and take over.
Old 09-16-2003, 10:57 AM
Craggy Old Man

Default You probably have the "BD" Tip box since your a 2000 A6

I had the BD box and from the first day, it would downshift kinda rough in Tip mode 2nd gear to 1st gear(when your coming to a stop). "D" mode wasnt too bad but Tip mode was bad. ALso the windup problem where you would take foot off gas, then press the gas down again and "thunk" . I had both of these problems. After awhile you learn to avoid having this happen.
If you have a good relationship with your dealer, you can tell them about these problems and ask to to try out the newer "DJ" Tip box and see if some of the problems go away, or are lessened. My 2nd to 1st gear clunk, was fixed with the new software and the windup has only happened ( a small clunk) once or twice in 25k miles. THe software in the DJ box was greatly improved in my opinion over the BD box.
I know have the DJ box in my car.

If they are not going to help you, ask them to pull a DJ box outta a car on the lot and let you along with the tech try it. Takes 10-15 minutes to take it out and install into your car. THen a test drive..
Worst case, buy your own box and then sell your old box to someone here who wants a spare to chip or something like that. But be up front that its a BD box, maybe a tuner can even recode it as a DJ box and I believe that has happened also.
WHere you located??
Old 09-16-2003, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No way. This works when rolling at about 10-15mph, straight. You hit the gas...

... and it's as if the tranny was in neutral (converter open) for a split second, and then slams. My sense is that if you are rolling to a stop, and catch the tranny as it is shifting from 2 to 1, and hit the gas, you can catch it in "no man's land" between 1 and 2, causing a momentary wind-up. No way the AWD system has a role in it. It happens in a slow, straight line.
Old 09-16-2003, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default my 2000 4.2 does it too...(longish)

I'm almost positive that it is caused by the transmission shift logic. It happens under medium braking down to about 5 mph followed by getting back on the gas. The transmission is still in second gear, sees the throttle input, and immediately downshifts to first. The braking causes drivetrain backlash in one direction, and the transmission shift and subsequent acceleration load the drivetrain up the opposite way. The clunk is going from full backlash one way to the other which is considerable for three differentials, four half shafts, a two piece driveshaft, and the transmission. The electronic throttle doesn't help either in this case as the tip in is very aggressive. I would guess that newer cars have a different torque converter lockup and throttle strategy and downshift quicker when coming to a stop. It is just something you will have to live with. Kind of like the shudder from the center Torsen under part load in tight turns.
Old 09-16-2003, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I also have gotten sensitive enough to avoid it most of the time, but...

... I think it is a shame that Audi did not step up and fix it. Let's face it, a software upgrade could probably be done cheaply.

Some problems with these cars show "character." I love character in a car. This bug is just plain annoying. To a passenger not accustomed to the jolt, it is not just a quirk. They think it is a major problem.
Old 09-16-2003, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Happens to me even with no brake application. I think it's in the torque converter because....

... there is so little driveline lash in most modes of driving; why would it be pronounced a 10-15 MPH? I think the converter disengages for a half-second, letting the engine wind up, before re-engaging with a slam.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Don't you wonder 2.8 (non-quattro) Tips don't do it?

Its a familiar thing to most with 4x4 (not AWD) experience.

Quick Reply: Need complete and final answer to the tranny "thump" question