A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Need help with a couple of issues on my 98 a6

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with a couple of issues on my 98 a6

Hi. I just joined this site cause i just got a Audi. I'm more of a BMW fan, but decided to try out a 1998 Audi A6 2.8L Quattro. just got it 2 days ago. its got 119000. Its its very good condition and i got a very good deal on it. I am very pleased with it at the moment
But it does have a couple of issues. I consider them minor... but still.. Since i don't know a lot about Audi's any help would be appreciated.

1. Burning oil smoke coming out of passenger side of engine. (just read online that its the valve gaskets possibly) Anybody know how much it costs to repair? just labor, i can buy the parts... Don't wanna go to dealership.

2. When i take a turn at low speeds, i hear a ticking sound , very slight.I notice the sound when i take a 90 degree turn and accelerate. My guess its the axle assembly... but not sure.

3. The Brake pad sensor lights up the dashboard. Brakes are good though. The car does has 18 inch aftermarket rims and drilled rotors in the front, but they all look fine, plenty of life left on the pads and the rotors. Is it just a sensor thats bad?

4. Should i do a tranny flush ? I don't know if the previous owner did it.

5. Any other common A6 problems I should be looking for?

The previous owner took care of the car. I can see that its very well taken care of... the ABS Bosch module is brand new, timing belt new, etc. but i just want to make the car in perfect working condition. Thanks again for any help
Old 03-25-2009, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

1. Not sure about the 2.8

2. CV Joints, I have the same thing. You can pick them up off ebay for ~50 bucks.

3. Are the sensors hooked up?

4. I would drain, replace filter and refill - not an easy DIY

5. Control arms, CV joint boots. Judging by 2. your CV joint boots are busted.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

1. Assuming it is indeed the gaskets, my indy quoted me about $600 to do them P&L, but this is something that is best done in combo with the timing belt service since it involves the same disassembly to get to them. If you can definitively diagnose the smell as due to leaky gaskets, it should be tolerable as long as you just make sure oil level is good (mine has had leaky gaskets for about a year, but I'm waiting for the upcoming TB service to do all that).

3. Probably a disconnected sensor cable, as mine does this time to time after going over extended rough patches (such as the grated surface during resurfacing).

4. My understanding is that flushing the tranny is a major no-no...drain and refill as the first reply noted, but do not flush (there are several posts and info elsewhere about the problems with tranny flushes).
Old 03-26-2009, 03:18 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by StuffedShark
1. Burning oil smoke coming out of passenger side of engine. (just read online that its the valve gaskets possibly) Anybody know how much it costs to repair? just labor, i can buy the parts... Don't wanna go to dealership.
Cam adjuster/tensioner seal, cam plug or valve cover gasket (as others noted) how many miles on the timing belt.

2. When i take a turn at low speeds, i hear a ticking sound , very slight.I notice the sound when i take a 90 degree turn and accelerate. My guess its the axle assembly... but not sure.
Find out which joint is bad and order a new driveshaft from raxels.

3. The Brake pad sensor lights up the dashboard. Brakes are good though. The car does has 18 inch aftermarket rims and drilled rotors in the front, but they all look fine, plenty of life left on the pads and the rotors. Is it just a sensor thats bad?
I'd toss both the rims and the rotors. Install new flat rotors and some strong light 16 or 17 inch wheels. Again as others have said the sensor is probably disconnected.
The sensor triggers the light when pads get down to about 30%.

4. Should i do a tranny flush ? I don't know if the previous owner did it.
No. And hope that the PO didn't do it either.
When you change the fluid, the filter change a is a "must do"

5. Any other common A6 problems I should be looking for?
The previous owner took care of the car. I can see that its very well taken care of... the ABS Bosch module is brand new, timing belt new, etc. but i just want to make the car in perfect working condition. Thanks again for any help[/QUOTE]

Lots of minor stuff.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the prompt replies. i'm gonna start making those repairs as soon as possible.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:43 PM

Hey, noob, watch the talk about perfering BMWs if you want sound advice, but CV boots and gasket should fix your problem. Gasket can wait, do boots first. Your 2.8 is less problem prone than the Biturbo, so as long as you have all fluids flushed, espec. at 119K, you will run for a while longer. The brakes issue, I have the same rotors and new pads, check your sensor connect, could have popped off, or clean them also, if not, and still barakes well, drive on, see if you can have a friend reset the code.