A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

New A6 Good or Bad

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2000, 03:02 AM
RD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New A6 Good or Bad

Hi,
I am thinking of buying a new A6. I hate to say it, but I am a BMW 5 Series owner. But I am willing to be converted if you all can convince me?
Old 12-31-2000, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: New A6 Good or Bad

Depends what you're looking for.. The Audi is a softer car, with clean lines, unpretentious design, roomier interior, everything is rounded and balanced aesthetically.. Quattro is a big selling point especially like today here in NY after a big winter storm.. If you like the security of hassle free driving in bad weather, the Audi is for you.. The Audi is also incognito, and that's a big selling point, it doesn't scream look at me, I drive an expensive car, but rather makes a very understated appeal..

The BMW however is more aggressive, a sharper car, more expensive, more geared towards performance driving, I still think the BMW is built of slightly higher quality, it's just designed with more thought by the engineers.. Whereas in some areas, it's obvious Audi shares parts, chassis and engines from lesser VW's models and compromises in some aspects to fit it in their Audi Models, it is clear that BMW's are more stand alone models, with a more straightforward purpose in mind.. I'm starting to feel a little sheepish driving an A6 Avant, since VW just introduced a new V6 Passat with the 4-motion.. Pretty much the Audi equivalent without some of the bells and whistles.. The new Passat even looks more like an Audi with its new face lift..

I hope Audi doesn't head in the direction that GM and Ford has for years... In the 80's, They made the mistake of dressing up their Cadillacs and Lincolns using the same platform as Buicks and Ford Taurus's.. YOu can only get away with that for so long.. Customers will eventually start to catch on that a Lincoln Town Car is basically a Ford Crown Victoria with leather interior and different trim..
Old 12-31-2000, 07:59 AM

This may be true....but if the 4.2 can be afforded (pricey) it is on the same level as the BMW performance wise....just my thoughts.
Old 12-31-2000, 08:01 AM

My A6 is one year old. The quattro system never fails to amaze me. Solid-no drama in wet or snow. I've had no problems except for minor rattle in dash. The interior is comfortable as well as visually stunning. Engine (4.2) is silky and very strong. Although some chassis components are shared with lesser VW models, there's still a world of difference and perhaps those VW models are quite fortunate to have the design handed down rather than vice versa. The A6 is still one of the best looking cars on the road in my opinion. I also think the company as a whole is becoming a leader in innovative design and engineering.
Old 12-31-2000, 09:07 AM

Default The Audi vs. BMW debate will never end....

...Just like Chevy vs. Ford, it's a matter of personal priorities and tastes.

Any car I spend $50K+ on better be equipped with everything I could ever want (which includes AWD), be stunning inside and out, uncommon, incredibly safe, near perfect egonomically, and a blast to drive. For me, the A6 2.7T and 4.2 were the only cars which qualified. BMW's are among the world's best cars, but they're everywhere, are a bit overstyled for my tastes, lack AWD, and always have their damned fog lights on. Yes, the BMW is more of a "driver's" car, and if I drove at 9 or 10/10ths all the time and it rarely rained or snowed, I'd consider one, but I drive relaxed in the real world most of the time. The A6's performance and feel completely satisfy my occasional need for driving thrills and if that need arises in bad weather, no problem. And it's fun getting all those head-turns and compliments.
Old 12-31-2000, 10:22 AM

Go and take a very good long look at the interior/exterior of a 2.7T or 4.2. Check out all the little details and you should come to the conclusion that it has the edge on a BMW. In the USA BMW has been on a roll for many years whereas Audi are in catchup mode. There is some snobbishness that BMW is a bigger "name" than Audi. In Europe thats not the case and most European critics have the opinion that the Audi has better build quality than BMW. I agree with that. Throw in Quattro and the US pricing and its hard to resist an A6. Check it out very carefully and let us know what you think.
Old 12-31-2000, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default An A6 can be different things to different people.

The fact that you are asking to be "converted" suggests there is something about the A6 that appeals to you more than a 5 Series would. No offence intended, but I think the "my car is better than your car" nonsense is just silly. Both Audi and BMW make beautiful automobiles. And by beautiful, I'm not just referring to just their appearance, though aesthetically I find these two makes to be the best looking in the industry. To me, a beautiful car is blend of desirable qualities into a unique, memorable and exhilarating experience. The A6 is the blend that I personally prefer.

I'll leave quantitative and technical comparisons to others who are better suited to make them. What I seek in an auto is an embodiment of my personal sense of "Style." For me, the A6 has more style than virtually any other car on the market. Beauty is part of this, and I find the A6 to be the most beautiful sedan in a long time. It's an original design borrowing little from other cars. It's sensuous yet understated. The interior is gorgeous, and you can select among interiors that resonate of the custom coach interiors from the 30's though the 50's.

Beauty is important of itself, but for a car to have style, its dynamic qualities must live up to the promise of its appearance. The A6 does this in three flavors - 2.8, 2.7T and 4.2. You can have a standard or sport suspension. They are three different cars, with three different feels. All are very competent sedans. All handle well, by sedan criteria. The more powerful cars are fast, by any standard, and handle better than most sedans. With sport suspensions and the right wheels and tires, you can put them on the track. But to do so misses the point from my perspective. For me, the A6 is a classic touring car in modern idiom. It is beautiful, luxurious, fast, and comfortable and handles beautifully. This is my definition of style.

The first time I drove a 2.7T I thought, "this car does everything I want." It goes, it stops and it rides and handles beautifully. And it's beautiful. Whether it does 0 to 60 in X or X+.5 doesn't concern me. Nor does what my neighbor thinks of it. As beautiful as I think it is, I'm not what I drive. This isn't intended as an attempt to invalidate anyone else's view of what an A6 is. This is just mine. I mean no offence, but I don't need to convince you. If you wish, go look at them and drive them. Then you will know all you need to know.
Old 12-31-2000, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm not going to try to "convince" you of anything, but...

...as the others here have already stated, the A6 is one hell of a great machine. When you're talking about cars at this level (and there are many to choose from in addition to the A6 and 5 Series), there isn't a loser in the bunch. It really comes down to personal taste and available features.

Like Tim, Steve, Wade, and Nick, I personally am absolutely nuts about my A6 (and mine is only a "lowly" 2.8 quattro). Strictly as a matter of personal preference, I <i>much </i>prefer it over the 5 Series and E Class. A few reasons...

1. Exterior styling, though admittedly subjective, is beautiful and unique, more than any other sedan on the road. It doesn't share a thing with any other car out there.

2. Interior styling is drop-dead gorgeous. Not only that, but Audi gives their buyers so many different interior choices. Besides 6 different interior colors (including the ultra-elegant Vanilla/Satin Black and Vanilla/Royal Blue combinations), they offer 3 seating materials (cloth, leather, and leatherette), 2 types of genuine wood trim, 3 different leather textures, 2 seat stitch patterns, 3 different aluminum trim colors, and standard as well as sport seats. I know of no other car manufacturer that offers so many choices.

3. The car has too many "little things" to list, and they add up to a terrific package. A few examples are: Full instrumentation (including voltmeter & oil temperature gauge), standard trip computer, puddle lights, optional F+R heated seats, lined storage bins in each door, tilt+telescope wheel, red interior illumination that, in my opinion, blows that of the BMW away, standard power everything including lumbar support in both front seats, just to name a few.

4. More than any other car I've owned, this thing just makes me feel damn good every time I drive it.

5. Where I live (Northern CA), there's a stereotype attached to BMW drivers that isn't very flattering. I want to choose my words carefully here...it seems that more than drivers of just about any other make, many BMW drivers display an "in-your-face" attitude when on the road. I personally observe a set of behaviors that seems to be much more common among BMW drivers than with drivers of any other make. Among those behaviors are VERY excess speed, cutting others off, CONSTANT discourteous use of fog lights, tailgating, unsafe lane changes, and running red lights. It's so prevalent here that I personally would not own a BMW simply because I don't want to be associated with the people in that group in any way.

6. Conversely, as a group I've observed much different behavior by Audi drivers. Again, <i>as a group </i> they seem to be much less "in your face" and much more courteous. They're a group that I'm proud to be a member of.

While it'sobvious that both companies make highly capable cars, their personalities are quite different. I don't know whether a fan of one could be happy owning the other. Maybe, maybe not. It will be interesting to hear what you decide. Good luck.

- Mike
Old 12-31-2000, 08:56 PM
RD

Default Re: I'm not going to try to "convince" you of anything, but...

Hi,

Thanks to eveyone for the inputs and thoughts! Is the car reliable? My BMW is a 96, it has NOT been reliable. In the shop every three months or so for major and minor problems ALL the time. I live and work in Thailnd, to buy a car here is a Major investment. An A6 here with only a 2.4L engine and NO Quattro is selling brand new for about $76k U.S. Dollars a new 523 BMW is selling for about $86k U.S. dollars. A Benz is out of the ball park. So I am leaning toward the A6, not because of price, but because I do not trust the BMW anymore as to reliability. The only other car in the running is the Volvo, but I do not like the new shape. I do like the shape of the A6 and I fell in love when I test drove it, I just do not know how reliable it will be?

Thanks to ALL!
Rick
Old 12-31-2000, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It boils down to this...

If short term resale, dry pavement and pure ( including the ability to screw up royally;- ) driving enjoyment are your priorities, get the BM. It has one tenth more ultimate perfomance at the limit. You had better be paying attention, and know what you are doing though.

The Audi has a nicer interior, more predictable and useable performance over the full range, as well as lower initial price. You won't need a seperate "winter car" if you live in the snow-belt. I could go into a lot of detail, but will leave that to the guys here.

I have driven both cars at the track, and find the BM a handful at the limit ( and I drive a rwd car every day ). The Audi might have a slightly lower trap time, but you get to cross the finish line:-)

Quick Reply: New A6 Good or Bad