A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

No Heat in Cabin at Idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Heat in Cabin at Idle

I have a 2000 A-6 2.7T. My wife says this problem has always been with the car. The problem is that the engine heats up to the exact middle of the gauge. We set heat on automatic or manual high fan and the car will heat if driving. Problem is at idle. At idle it will blow cold air. I start the car a 1/2 hour before we are ready to leave. The engine and everything is ready to go but no heat until rpm's are above 2K. Even at stop lights the heat stops until we move to get rpms up. Plenty of antifreeze. The idea is you cannot start the car and let it warm up. It will stay cold until you hit the gas. I cannot believe it's a water pump as it has always been this way.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:21 PM

Default Not sure what the problem is, but wow, 30 minutes of warmup? You must have deep pockets...

or an angry wife hahaha.

(flame suit on)
Old 02-05-2007, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bleed coolant system

if you pull the heater hoses out to the bleed hole see if any air comes out. Else it does sound like a water pump problem.

..Vag Com can also tell you if any fault codes are stored in the Climate system. Perhaps a motor flap is stuck.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:45 PM

Default Re: No Heat in Cabin at Idle

NO deep pockets and no understanding wife. She just took my 4runner and said I could have it back it the spring. Been doing some research. What is an AUX. water pump? I don't know if I am saying it right but I will try again. Everything is normal with car as far as heating up. It just blows cold air until rpms are brought up. No RPM's no heat.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:55 PM

Default Blockage, airlock, or water pump problem. Does anyone know if the A6 has a valve in the heater?

To stop water circulation when cold is selected? A lot of cars do. Could not be opening properly.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default it is a free-flow system. The thermostat however will stop flow through...

the block of course. There is no valve in the heater core. But the heater core could be blocked or restricted. -epecially if you have anything other than G12+ in the system.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: No Heat in Cabin at Idle

My current 2001 a6 is my 4th audi and they all were reluctant to get "comfortable warm" at idle. I have a remote start system installed, and in cold weather start it up about 10 minutes before having to leave. While the interior is not "ice cold" it's not up to the 70 dialed in on the climate control. But after a few minutes of driving it warms up quickly. When I manually start the car, eg. when I am out shoveling snow, I make sure to turn on the defroster, then the interior heats up well. I was told years ago, upon first complaining, that the thermostat is set to allow the engine to come up to operating temperature as quickly as possible and to maintain that heat. (best possible gas milage figures) And that in German Engineering, operating effeciency superceeds "girlly comforts" like a warm cabin.
Seriously, do other A6's get warm after 10 minutes of idle at 20F or below? Maybe mine is an oddball.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The thermostat will not prevent coolant circulation within the block nor thru the heater,...

only throttling flow thru the radiater. And that G12+ comment is BS!
Old 02-05-2007, 04:52 PM

So is there a valve in the heater?
Old 02-05-2007, 05:05 PM

Default Re: The thermostat will not prevent coolant circulation within the block nor thru the heater,...

To further explain,, I could literally start my a-6 in 30 degree weather, with the heater set to automatic or manual and 80 degrees and leave it run for hours. It would never warm up until I got in the car and stepped on gas pedal. If I bring the idel up to 1500 to 2000 rpm the heat comes on immediately. Does that make sence??

Quick Reply: No Heat in Cabin at Idle