A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Noob here with important input needed fast! I have a down payment held on a RS6, but

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob here with important input needed fast! I have a down payment held on a RS6, but

this morning I went to test drive before final purchase and two things did not seem right.

The first thing is a there was a vibration when the salesman and I were driving down the highway at 55-65 mph. Now he says the tires probably need balanced and that they were cold. However, I have been sneaking around the forum today and there seems to be some issues with vibrations in the Audi line of cars. So do I have them balance and retest drive the car before buying?

Second, there was some loose/torn stitching on the drivers seat in the lumbar area. Again, salesman said "no problem to fix".

Also there is hazing of the paint in front right quarter panel. Does not look like it has been repainted.

I do not feel good about these three things being that I'm going to pay sticker for this beautiful car. The car is simply gorgeous and oh so powerful. Do I request they find another one?

Please respond quickly with what I should do b/c they have a down payment of mine that I could walk away with and one of the Mercedes dealer in town has a fully loaded AMG sitting on their lot due to customer backing out.
Old 02-05-2004, 01:16 PM

Default Request they find another one.

I was also debating whether to buy the E55 or Rs6. I'm glad I went with the RS6. It sounds like the car you were driving hadn't been taken care of. Come on, torn stitching and hazed paint on their flagship sports car? Good luck.
Old 02-05-2004, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Have it balanced before you sign. If not balanced, pass.

The dealer should give you a "due bill" for a replacement seat since it will need to be ordered. Just bring it to the service dept and then make an appnt for installation.

Can you get a good detailer to come and check out the hazing?

Tom McCaffee here in San Jose CA will sell you an RS6 for under MSRP. If you aren't local, he can arrange for shipping, etc. Just tell him I sent you. 1-415-425-1703
Old 02-05-2004, 01:21 PM

Second.
Old 02-05-2004, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Is this a brand new car?

If I was in your shoes (and how I wish I was!), I wouldn't accept anything less than perfect. I'd insist on either everything being repaired to your satisfaction BEFORE further committing to the deal or better yet having them locate a different car. Do NOT do the deal and drive off with the car with only their promise to fix the problems later on.
Old 02-05-2004, 01:23 PM

Thanks, I'll call right now.
Old 02-05-2004, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Noob here with important input needed fast! I have a down payment held on a RS6, but

pass - too much $ for u to have any uncomfortable issues with the car
Old 02-05-2004, 01:30 PM

Default You bet your *** you will.

There are LOTS of RS6's around, thus no need to pay sticker. ESPECIALLY for a car that has some issues.
Old 02-05-2004, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Where are you located?

As of a week or 2 ago, I counted 13 new RS 6s in stock among 4 Bay Area dealers. I can give you more info if you like.
Old 02-05-2004, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sticker may be too high even if it is perfect... and it's not perfect.

Every problem needs to be rectified before you get any further. No promises to fix -- just fixes. The vibration issue may end up being very difficult to diagnose.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Noob here with important input needed fast! I have a down payment held on a RS6, but