A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Nope, they blame the brakes....

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nope, they blame the brakes....

.....Of corse when I tell them it sounded like that before I had Zimmermans installed they offer to change the rotors and pads but its not covered under the assured warranty. They also said I could drive it with the head tech manager or whatever but I said, whats the point, he already aknoweleges hearing the noise so why would I bother driving with him as we both know what the problem is.

I told them I'll pick it up tonight. I'll take it to my guy who installed the Zimmermans and get his input.

Service writer said they checked everything, control arms, rods and everthing suspension ralated and all is well. Regreased the wheel bearings and tightened the suspension(whatever that means). Still, they blame the pads, said the pads are loose.

The noise goes away with the slighest use of the hand brake and is only there between 20-25mph

Any thoughts are welcome befor e I call my tech guy tonight.

Now, depending if they try to get me to pay anything will determie if I go back in the future.

We'll see. I'll keep ya posted as always.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Update: My tech agrees.....

...says the pads are always in contact with the rotor and if the noise is isolated to one wheel at a given speed and goes away when the hand brake is used then its definetly the pad rotor connection making the noise.

Gla dto hear because I dont need any serious issues, this is minor to me

Said he has some special goop which he hates to use and makes a mess but it will tell if this is the problem and that he'd do it Thursday morning.

We'll see.....

Thanks again for reading.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default $@@&$@&%$!!! Theres always an update. Dealer wants $108....

....for looking at the car, messing with the suspension etc. I said Audi Assured $50 deductable, end of story right. Service writer says, I tried to argue the point to the manager and I'm out of here at 5PM. I said, I'd hate to have to contact AoA for further clarification but I will take it up with the manager myself when I return the 3.0

What should I do, pay the stinkin $100, $50 or argue that they didnt fix anything and to take it up with AoA.

I'm not going back, this was it.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IMO, you owe it to them. It took them time to find the answer....

...you seem to not want to pay because you don't like the answer. That doesn't seem right.

Also, AA only covers repairs. If they spend time finding a problem and the repair is covered by AA then you don't get a bill for the time finding the problem. But if AA doesn't cover the bill than you are responible for the time spent looking for the problem. My dealer is VERY clear on this subject.

Pay the $108 already!
Old 09-15-2003, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Yeah, and I enjoyed the hell out of this 3.0 so yer prolly right

Even still, its a bummer they can isolate the problem but not fix it.

Looks my my mechanic too the rescue.

I appreciate the comment.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What dealer?.... and...

I don't believe that Audi Assured covers diagnostic work, unless in conjunction with a repair.

So what is the conclusion? So they think the new pads are bad? Backing plates machined to the wrong size? But you said it did that before. Is all the pad mounting hardware in good shape? If you pull the pads out, and they are moving around, you should see unusual wear marks on the backing plates. Or in the holes on the pad ears.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default what's with the door handle ...

not being covered??? It broke and they won't fix it, mind sharing more detail? I thought brakes were the only thing not covered with Assured as a "normal wear-and-tear item?"
Old 09-15-2003, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

take somethin off the 3.0 worth $108.....haha
Old 09-15-2003, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

duh
Old 09-15-2003, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default hey cL- sorry about the hassles, here's a thought for you (FWIW): I had a "screech" on my -->

'00 right rear. The sound was most aparent between 20 - 35mph. When I applied the handbrake lightly the sound would go away. Sound familiar?? When I described to it to one of my cycling buddies who is a tech at the local Audi dealer, he told me to check the caliper, it could be frozen. Sure enough, when I pulled the wheel and removed the caliper it was frozen up. After some work compressing the piston, and the application of some anti-sieze compound on the sliding caliper surfaces, the caliper works like a charm and the problem is gone!

My Audi tech buddy says it is not uncommon for the caliper's sliding surfaces to rust/bind together.

Hope this helps.....

Quick Reply: Nope, they blame the brakes....