A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

OilLeaks

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OilLeaks

To say I'm a bit furstrated is an understatement. I purchased a 00 A6 2.7t last November. In that time, I've paid 350 to replace a $.05 washer on the oil line to one of the turbos, $950 to replace both lower control arms and 1 upper and today I found out that there are several seals around the engine which are leaking, projected costs $1300. At this reate I'm going to spend $9k to repair this car over 4 yrs. What is even more frustrating is that my mechanic tells me that all these problems are common with this car. Has anyone else run into these types of problems? If so, were any of you able to get assistance from Audi? Apparently even aftet owning 2 other Audis previous to this one, I don't qualify for special assistance and the car is out of warranty. Any one have any thoughts? Thanks
Old 10-20-2004, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Look at it this way, there's only one way to go from here...

... up.

I don't know about the oil line washer issue, but the control arms and oil leaks, unfortunately, are common issues with the C5.

The control arms contain the ball joints and ball joints do wear. It's easier to replace the entire control arm than it is to try and get the ball joint out of the control arm.

The cam seal leaks, we think, are attributed to a clogged suction pump (look at my picture poster for a run down on where it is and how to replace it) which results in higher than normal head pressure and it forces the seals out.

With your control arms taken care of and the cam seal leaks replaced, you should be good to go for a long time, though you may be ready for a timing belt or water pump soon if you haven't already taken care of that.

One last ray of sunshine... there has been a recent service action (JE) concerning lower control arms for '99 and '00 A6s. If you've paid to have them replaced you may be able to get a refund from AoA.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Front suspension on these cars are notorious so are oil leaks but

there are certain things you can do to save money. When you do the timing belt on your car put in new cam seals, water pump, thermostat, tensioners. That way the big labor items are already replaced for preventive maintenance. Also if you have some mechanical skills these cars are fairly easy to work on. You can do oil changes, spark plugs (which with turbos should be changed often). The control arms are easy to replace as well as the tie rod ends (provided there not frozen like mine were) brakes are easy as well. I have an A6 Avant and 4.2 and have found Audi mechanicals to be bullet proof. I have over 100k on my Avant and anticipate the 4.2 to run for a very long time. Audi has won LeMans many times with their current engine technology without one DNF. That tells you they know how to build engines that last. My old 100S has 213k miles on it and is still running fantastic.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Wait until it gets cold out

The one thing I have noticed about the 2.7 turbo engines is that when it gets cold out (especially when it gets below 15F), they tend to spring leaks.

I noticed that heavily last winter, then it stops in the warmer weather. Too bad they couldn't of designed the seals with a larger temperature range in mind.

pw
Old 10-20-2004, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have the same oil leaks. IGNORE THEM unless you lose enough oil...

... to make a difference. I have seepage, but I have never had to add oil between changes, so I will let it seep. $1,300 will buy a LOT of motor oil.

Don't sweat it. The dealer has a huge in$entive to point out the$e thing$.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default that's what i have done control arms. I already talk to AoA and looks good for me ;o) but leaks ...

i got rear differential leak but its lil one
Old 10-20-2004, 06:17 PM

2nd....
Old 10-20-2004, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default $9k sounds low to me......but I still love mine!

I haven't done the suspension yet, but in exactly one year today i've replaced:
3x TBB, F-hose, 2x cv boots, 2x window guides, valve cover gaskets, oil line washer, and it's in the shop right now getting the pass. side turbo replaced....
It does feel like one thing after another, but i'm still optomistic. These cars are "notorious" for alot of prob. so research helps out...Especially if your gonna mod. 80k no warr. sucks!
Old 10-20-2004, 09:31 PM

Default Re: OilLeaks

I've had both the front end problems AND the oil leak problems on my first '01. Fortunately,the car was under warranty....but, I feel for you.
So far, none of those probs with my current car.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:49 AM

Default Re: OilLeaks

Replace cam adjuster seals which are responsible for oil leaking around left front and right rear of engine.

Quick Reply: OilLeaks