A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

OK. Here is my crazy thought for the day. Looking for feedback...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OK. Here is my crazy thought for the day. Looking for feedback...

So, I drove a friends '98 A4 last night. I never drove the B5 body Audis before(amazing, huh?!?) and I've got to tell you, it easily outhandled the A6! Even totally stock on 15" rims!!

Now this shouldn't surprise me, as my wife has an '01 GTI and it is leagues more nimble, but I expected that much.

My thinking now is that I want to trade the A6 for an S4(B5). I really like the handling advantage and I don't need the extra room. Although it does come in handy at times, especially the trunk!

So am I crazy to feel this way?

Bring on the comments
Old 04-12-2004, 12:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: OK. Here is my crazy thought for the day. Looking for feedback...

I have had those same thoughts. I bought the A6 for the extra room; and, now I am thinking I don't need it. I will probably never switch, but I don't think you are crazy at all for contemplating it.

My 2 cents,
Dave
Old 04-12-2004, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Seems like you'd be taking a step down.

If your only motivation is to improve handling, I'd suggest doing a suspension mod on your A6. That way you'd have the best of both worlds. Have you owned your 2.7T since new? If so, then it makes even more sense to keep it. Why trade it for a used car? Even if not, you'd be giving up a lot to go to a B5. Not only that, you'd probably have to shell out $$$ to step down.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:14 PM
Elder Member

If my larger frame fit into an S4 comfortably, that's what I'd be driving.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not crazy at all. If you value the handling over the room, it should be a pretty straightforward

decision to make (financial considerations aside). Since my son is now 6 feet and still growing, my ranking has to be room over handling (at least for a few more years till he moves on...)

JB
Old 04-12-2004, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Depends on you......

I went from a 325is to 540iT to a 330Xi.....big mistake for me. I have gotten to an age where the refinement combined with the "sportiness" of the 5 series or A6 float my boat. The A4 or 3 series are great cars, BUT they are no A6 or 5. I love a car that I can cruise on the highway in comfort and toss in the corners when needed.
You should borrow an A4 for a weekend and see if it floats your boat. Make sure that you drive it in all the conditions you drive now.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:28 PM

Default Bahhh...step down in what sense, exactly? If he's looking for something more tossable...

...and doesn't need the "extra" room the A6 platform offers, I don't see how he's giving up a whole lot...keeps quattro, etc., and has a very modifiable car in his hands to play with. All this assumes, of course, he tracks down a well cared for/maintained vehicle, etc.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Good advice!
Old 04-12-2004, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Space is the big one. Probably some features, as well, depending on the specific car.

He'd give up dual zone climate control for sure. If he currently has the Cold Weather Package, he's give up rear heated seats even on a Cold Weather-equipped A4. From there, depending upon the specific car, he could give up leather, memory seats (hell, even <i>power </i>seats), auto-dimming mirrors, to name a few.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:47 PM

Default If it were an A4, yes of course. But he's talking S4, and prefaced his situation by saying he...

...doesn't need the space. So while he's giving up dual-zone, it's not necessary in an A4-platform vehicle. And yes, no heated rear seats, but I wouldn't consider that a deal-breaker...though he might. Leather (including an alcantara option) and power seats were standard, the auto-dimming part of convenience package, which 95% of the cars have (because it included sunroof). He'll lose seat memory and few other minor items, but nothing huge in the overall scheme. Not attempting to be the defender-in-kind of the B5 S4, but I do own one....and find the interior (birch wood) to be just as exquisite as that of our 4.2, though not quite on par with the S6...there's just no sub for the alcantara headliner in that car. YMMV.

Quick Reply: OK. Here is my crazy thought for the day. Looking for feedback...