A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Ok, so am I totally whack???

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2001, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, so am I totally whack???

Is this a stupid thing to do??? I'm not sure. Going on the wife's comment last weekend when we "visited" an Audi lot in the middle of the night, that "I really think I want a smaller car"...this was after gawking at one sweet-*** Imola S4 Avant...I began thinking that I should be nicer to my wonderful wife and began formulating ways of potentially trading in my 4.2 on the S4 Avant. So questions.

1. What do you think I would get as a trade on a mint 19k '01 4.2 on a S4 Avant?

2. Should I trade now with the 4.2 on the S4 or keep the 4.2, buy the S4, and use the 4.2 as a trade on the S6 (whenever that comes in...actuallly there is news on that too). The S4 is available now and may not be later...I can hack the payments on both, so not a big deal that way...since the 4.2 has 19.3k, I might wanna get rid of it before 20k (? better trade that after 20k...I know "high-mileage" for a one year old car). My "fear" with the latter scenario...that is using the 4.2 as a trade later on the S6 is that they may jack me around on its value and I don't want to be "screwed" when the S6 comes...I need that car...if I use it now on the S4, it is more at my option, since we don't NEED that now, just would like it.

3. Am I totally whack?

UPDATE on S6 Avant: Actually it's old news, but they didn't tell me about this 2 weeks ago...the car is in "C" status...with another new update coming today...he's supposed to call...I won't hold my breath ???Christmas present???
Old 11-07-2001, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Your Wacked Like me :)

Trade in the 4.2 now and they should be kissing your *** for buying Audi for the third time 4.2, S6 and Avant.

I see invoice pricing for the Avant in you future
Old 11-07-2001, 10:26 AM

Default So. like the S4 Av would be your "Trainer" car

until the S6 shows? Well,as they say on tv "that's a tuffy." 2 Imola Red Av's in the drive? Holy Schnikeys Sure! wtf, why not? You're just trying to make me jealous, 'cuz I wanted red :&lt IMO, trade the A6 off now, with fewer mi on it. Good luck wrestling with that one, I know I'm not much help here.
Old 11-07-2001, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Do it now (S4), only whacked part is: " "visited" an Audi lot in the middle of the night" ;-)
Old 11-07-2001, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Gotta figure two S-Avants...4 AND 6...in the driveway would make you "a demographic of 1"! Do it.
Old 11-07-2001, 10:36 AM

Default I was kind of in the same boat as you...

My wife said the excatct words when she had her Grand Cherokee. It was a 99 and had 35k miles. I decided to sell it prior to it going out of warranty. Luckily, we sold it a week before Tropical Storm Allison hit Houston and the prices of used car plummetted.

Don't hesitate to trade in the A6 or sell it outright. From what i understand a the dealer, 01's are hard to come by and there will only be a limited run on S4's for 02. so waiting might not help you out in this case. There simply might not be a car for you to buy.

As for owning the S4, my wife absolutely adores it. Compared to my A6, that thing is so tight and nimble, she feels like she really has control over the car.

I don't really think trading in the 4.2 for the S6 will really help you, the dealer WILL try to jack you on the trade in value. Take it CarMax and see what they will give you, usually about 2-3k more than the dealer will. However, if you trade it in for the S6, you will get a pretty nice break on the taxes you will owe for the purchase(but if you trade it in on the S4, you will get some tax relief also).

Also, I drove the S4 for the day yesterday, FUN FUN FUN....

Dave
Old 11-07-2001, 11:07 AM
ESN
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it matter that '01 is slated to be the last year for the old S4 body?
Old 11-07-2001, 11:08 AM

Default Ok, so am I totally whack??? If you think you are, then don't worry 'cause I'm too! (more)

What's with Audi? Why is it their (our) cars become so addictive?

I cannot comment on the trade-in values of 4.2's in the USA, however can you not get a fixed price from your dealer for the 4.2 based on the purchase of the S6? Surely sice you had to commit to the purchase of the S6, they should commit on the trade-in of your 4.2!

Then at least, you would be able to assess if you get a better trade-in for the S4 or the S6 and act accordingly.

I bit of useless information: as much as I love the S3, everytime I go back in to the S6, I go "wow", so you might miss you 4.2 if you trade it in on the S4... and are still waiting for the S6
Old 11-07-2001, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Then you would have to troll two forums like me...PITA
Old 11-07-2001, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah, I'd miss it...but I'd actually be missing it A LOT!!! since the wife would get...

the S4 and I'd get the Outback until the S6 arrived...I think it'd be kinda rude of me to make her take the Outback while I get HER new car...so, maybe I'll be Outbackin' it for a while...sweet!

Quick Reply: Ok, so am I totally whack???