A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

One more question for tonight...brakes are squealing...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One more question for tonight...brakes are squealing...

I replaced the front rotors and pads with ATE powerslot and Mintex red box. It's been maybe 6 weeks or so and over the last 2 to 3 weeks have squealed like crazy when I'm stopping at a red light, moderate pedal pressure and in the 10-20mph range. I thought for a while is was just brake dust building up in the slots and air being forced through there since I hadn't washed my car in 3 to 4 weeks (don't shoot please). I washed it this weekend, rinsing off the rotors but to no avail. Might something have wiggled loose since I didn't have a torque wrench and they're just vibrating (again, please don't shoot, I can't think of a better word)? I'd really hate to pay $50 bucks for a local shop to say...nope, they look fine.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default nop thay look fine

they are cheap brake pads
they always make noise no matter what
just get the factory ones
trustme on this
Old 12-28-2003, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Expert

I have been told that they need to be bedded -
Old 12-28-2003, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: One more question for tonight...brakes are squealing...

Did you replace them yourself? If so did you see the old OEM pads and if they used or had a "shim" glued or placed behind them. Many times the squeel is coming from the back of the brake pad vibrating against the piston or caliper. Many manufactures have Tech Bulletins to install shims (sometimes Teflon coated shims)to reduce or help eliminate this noise. You might ask your local dealer if there are shims for the front pads and if there are purchase them and install them. You can get similar results from applying "anti-squeel" coatings sold at Aftermarket car part stores...some spay on the back of the pads some spread on...in either case it requires you to remove the pads apply...let dry and then reassemble...this stuff goes on the back of the pads NOT the brake pad pad braking surface itself...just in the event this was not clear.

The only other thing might be to do a couple of high speed hard brake stops...do this in a large empty parking lot or on a private street without homes and children playing...get up to speed... then brake hard...this removes any glazing on the rotor surface and helps "set/bed" the pads to the rotor....PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DO THIS IN A PUBLIC HIGH TRAFFIC AREA...DON'T BREAK THE LAW ON BEHALF OF MY POST...I am just sharing a way "deglazing" rotors and setting/bedding new pads can be accomplished...
Old 12-29-2003, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default I would do what S4master1 says

When you go with aftermarket pads, many times you will experience significant squealing at low pedal pressures....I did on my A8 for almost a year, drove me crazy!

Went back and bought stock pads and replaced the rotors (which were stock), put it all on and the squealing stopped.

You can take the brakes apart three times and put all the goop on them you want, but it probably won't help.

pw
Old 12-30-2003, 02:32 PM

I'm having the same problem...thinking about buying oem pads and rotors...I hate the squealing!!!
Old 12-30-2003, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default listen to paul

he knows his way around cars better than many
engineers i know