A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

p0341

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

P0341 AUDI - Camshaft Position Sensor
The camshaft position sensor signal sent to the Engine Control Module(ECM) during the first few seconds of engine cranking is out of range.

P0340 AUDI - Camshaft Position Sensor
The camshaft position sensor signal is not detected by the Engine Control Module(ECM) during the first few seconds of engine cranking

Both have the same causes:
Possible causes
- Faulty Camshaft Position Sensor
- Camshaft Position Sensor harness is open or shorted
- Camshaft Position Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty starter motor
- Starting system circuit
- Dead (Weak) battery
Old 02-15-2013, 05:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Tenspeed, brand new battery so that is out. It fires up almost immediatly . That's probably not it. My voltage is close to 5v(4.87 I think) at the connection. Seems to run just fine after i get it reved up. Though I'm afraid to drive it because after it warms up it sometimes will start up but idles at about 400-500 pm and doesn't respond to the throttle. I have to push it and pop the clutch to get it going again. And it is really hard to operate the gas, brakes and clutch at the same time! Takes some really talented feet. Lol. Do you think my brand new CPS is bad?
Old 02-15-2013, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

I recently had this same code. My intake cam was off one tooth. Previous owner changed cam adjuster pads and had it off. I would check cam adjuster. Look to see if pads are on top and bottom.

Last edited by joshe8695@yahoo.com; 02-15-2013 at 06:22 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Arg!!! Thanks Josh
Old 02-15-2013, 07:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Josh, were your symptoms similar to mine?
Old 02-15-2013, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Rough idle, p0341, cyl 5 and 6 misfire. Started right up and would run rough. Exhaust smelled of raw fuel. I was not so lucky as cyl 5 had a bent middle intake valve. You couldn't really see it was bent until it was chucked up in a drill. The plastic pads where all chewed up and ended up blocking most of the oil pump pick up. Dropped the pump to inspect and it looked perfect at 190,000. I replaced the bent valve and it runs great.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
I don't even know what the codes are!
LOL!
Old 02-15-2013, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisbob
Thanks Tenspeed, brand new battery so that is out. It fires up almost immediatly . That's probably not it. My voltage is close to 5v(4.87 I think) at the connection. Seems to run just fine after i get it reved up. Though I'm afraid to drive it because after it warms up it sometimes will start up but idles at about 400-500 pm and doesn't respond to the throttle. I have to push it and pop the clutch to get it going again. And it is really hard to operate the gas, brakes and clutch at the same time! Takes some really talented feet. Lol. Do you think my brand new CPS is bad?

It's possible but much more likely the CPS was improperly installed. Take it out and look at it...the little tit has to fit the cam.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Really? Re-think what your saying here

Originally Posted by tenspeed
P0341 AUDI - Camshaft Position Sensor
The camshaft position sensor signal sent to the Engine Control Module(ECM) during the first few seconds of engine cranking is out of range.

P0340 AUDI - Camshaft Position Sensor
The camshaft position sensor signal is not detected by the Engine Control Module(ECM) during the first few seconds of engine cranking

Both have the same causes:
Possible causes
- Faulty Camshaft Position Sensor
- Camshaft Position Sensor harness is open or shorted
- Camshaft Position Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty starter motor
- Starting system circuit
- Dead (Weak) battery
Yes these two codes might be similar to a degree, however they are not.
If the ECM throws a code "like the one he has" its because their is a known fault predetermined by the description of the one code only!

Look back in the forum with CPS codes to see the members who have multiple cps codes and there are many, different problems and diagnosis with multiple "known" codes.

More confusion begins when all these related codes start flying around a problem that is not present, sensible probabilities might suggest low power, bad connection and on and on, but not for a code that doesn't exist.

There is a reason one cps code is present.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default As I said before with your problem

Originally Posted by joshe8695@yahoo.com
Rough idle, p0341, cyl 5 and 6 misfire. Started right up and would run rough. Exhaust smelled of raw fuel. I was not so lucky as cyl 5 had a bent middle intake valve. You couldn't really see it was bent until it was chucked up in a drill. The plastic pads where all chewed up and ended up blocking most of the oil pump pick up. Dropped the pump to inspect and it looked perfect at 190,000. I replaced the bent valve and it runs great.
I'm glad you were able to resolve it, however you mentioned nothing about a cps code outside of your miss-fires and related codes?

Did we miss something on that post.

Quick Reply: p0341