A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Prop shaft parts

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ajg617
What the offered me was to send the defective one back and they would ship out another after they receive it or see if I can have my old cv joints put on to the shaft they sent me.

Not much customer service from my perspective. It isn't the first time I've ordered from them.

It's a good thing that I called the guy who switched them out the next morning before he chucked my old one out. I may have to put that back in while Shokan swaps them out. I'd have a hard time paying for another one and waiting for credit given what they sent me the first time.

I think that Shokan is sending you shafts they have taken out of wrecks. I would use a rebuilt and balanced shaft from www.wholesaleimportsparts.com That way you are working with known good parts. Trying to replace bits and pieces on the shaft will be a fail IMHO. See if you can just get a refund from Shokan and proceed with the rebuilt shaft. Good luck whichever way you go.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Yeah, that sux having to pay labor twice because of a defective used driveshaft.
Depending on the cost of labor it might have paid to have the local guy order the part….yes he gets a markup but if the part is bad he has to eat the labor.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
I think that Shokan is sending you shafts they have taken out of wrecks. I would use a rebuilt and balanced shaft from www.wholesaleimportsparts.com That way you are working with known good parts. Trying to replace bits and pieces on the shaft will be a fail IMHO. See if you can just get a refund from Shokan and proceed with the rebuilt shaft. Good luck whichever way you go.
I KNOW Shokan is sending used parts from wrecks. That's what they do. LOL!!
Old 05-22-2014, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
I KNOW Shokan is sending used parts from wrecks. That's what they do. LOL!!
Yeah, they are sort of an online junk yard for us Germans and our temperamental Audis. I mean, really, who needs a 4' long drive shaft with CV joints at both ends and a carrier bearing in the middle? Me and the OP I guess. HAH!
Old 05-22-2014, 03:30 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Yeah, that sux having to pay labor twice because of a defective used driveshaft.
Depending on the cost of labor it might have paid to have the local guy order the part….yes he gets a markup but if the part is bad he has to eat the labor.
Yeah, it was a risk. I bought it from a recycler and didn't pay off. Got it back today with my end bearings (which came of nicely from my old drive shaft) on the Shokan shaft (which were rusted on and came off in pieces). Same vibration. So it's probably either the center u-joint or the shaft was a bit bent on impact from the car it came off of.

My indy is doing the timing belt next week so we'll see. Maybe I'll try a rebuilt or wait til I see one on the VW parts outlet center - you had to know they had one for my wife's B6.... I don't like riding with the vibration, not that it is that annoying, but eventually it will take its toll on a seal at one end or the other.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
Yeah, they are sort of an online junk yard for us Germans and our temperamental Audis. I mean, really, who needs a 4' long drive shaft with CV joints at both ends and a carrier bearing in the middle? Me and the OP I guess. HAH!
i dont need one .. i get the shaft from the dealer every time i go
Old 05-23-2014, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

I used a wholesaleimportparts drive shaft assembly, and it worked like a charm. I have a little over 5k on it, and not a vibe to be felt.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Airbag
i dont need one .. i get the shaft from the dealer every time i go

Well as long as you get a kiss and they use lots of lube..................
Old 05-23-2014, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by blink
I used a wholesaleimportparts drive shaft assembly, and it worked like a charm. I have a little over 5k on it, and not a vibe to be felt.
Yep, me too, nobody knocking to get in from down there anymore.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ajg617
Yeah, it was a risk. I bought it from a recycler and didn't pay off. Got it back today with my end bearings (which came of nicely from my old drive shaft) on the Shokan shaft (which were rusted on and came off in pieces). Same vibration. So it's probably either the center u-joint or the shaft was a bit bent on impact from the car it came off of.

My indy is doing the timing belt next week so we'll see. Maybe I'll try a rebuilt or wait til I see one on the VW parts outlet center - you had to know they had one for my wife's B6.... I don't like riding with the vibration, not that it is that annoying, but eventually it will take its toll on a seal at one end or the other.
Why don't you look around for a local driveshaft balancing shop?
Lots of people have to shorten shafts for custom engine swaps….check around.

Quick Reply: Prop shaft parts