A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Question for all new 2.7T/PSK owners(Northeast delivery since Nov. 1)

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2000, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question for all new 2.7T/PSK owners(Northeast delivery since Nov. 1)

Tell me what tires are being furnished upon delivery with PSK option? And... if you're swapping to another tire what deals you're making with your dealer, and which tire are you opting for?

Thanks & Regards,
Rick(I can almost taste it)Pardo
Old 11-13-2000, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I don't remember what mine came with (more)

Contis or Goodyear Touring or something. I changed them for Bridgestones s02 Pole Position, 235/45/17 on 17x8 wheels. The dealer didn't want them or the PSK wheels. Very happy with this setup.
Old 11-13-2000, 03:41 PM

Anderson Behl in San Jose-SP9000s-No tire deal-On my own with tirerack-consider 17"ATP S5 wt SP5000s
Old 11-13-2000, 05:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default My 2.7T came with Goodyear Touring... very disappointed

Unfortunately, I didn't think to ask the dealer to change the tires (still kicking myself for that one). Anyway, I read a posting here where someone had Dulop SP9000s on there 2.7. That'll be my choice if you can getum. I'm currently running 235/40 18s Dunlops and can't be happier.
Old 11-13-2000, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Question for all new 2.7T/PSK owners(Northeast delivery since Nov. 1)

I believe 6 speed sport package models come with Dunlop SP9000's (mine did) but I've heard here that Tiptronics are equipped with Goodyear Eagle (and other brand) all-season or "touring" tires. I don't understand why they don't just put the Dunlops on all sport packages.
Old 11-13-2000, 07:06 PM

Default Re: Question for all new 2.7T/PSK owners(Northeast delivery since Nov. 1)

GO WITH PIRRELIS AHEAD OF THE DUNLOPS.
Old 11-13-2000, 09:13 PM

My 2.7T PSK came with Goodyear Eagle Touring--which are all season tires and not close to performance tires. After a two week running phone battle with Audi of America they authorized my dealer to order the performance tires of my choice. Bridgestone Potenza 730's. If you get the Goodyears, stick with it, I think Audi knows they messed up with the Goodyears--you WILL get performance tires.
Old 11-14-2000, 02:21 AM

Default pls explain Audi/Goodyear mess up, "Y" rating, Tire Rack classific etc??

HELLO: After 6000 miles (2.7T/Tip/NCT3s), I'm still driving very aggressively thru Topanga (Cal 27), PCH to Carmel, South on I5 @ 100+. Pls tell me what I'm missing? I would like better looking 17" wheels & tires but to do it "right" seems to be a $3,000 proposition, eg, BBS RCs w/Pilots. Thinking about about Dunlop 9000 225/50/16 as a Plus 0 "upgrade". Any comments w/b appreciated. Nothing I've read on Audiworld seems to indicate a "hands down" winner. Tire of the month seems to develop bubbles, get noisy etc. Esp interested because of the lack of "press" re; Pilots. My more afflulent acquaints (Jag XJRs) rave about the Pilots vs Dunlops, others????? PS: The RE730 is a perfect example of a controversial "low cost/high value" offering. Bottom line - if I knew why my current Eagle Tourings (Car&Driver notwithstanding) are so bad, I'd probably be able to make a more informed choice. Pls inform.
Old 11-14-2000, 10:13 AM

Mine Came With Dunlop SP9000
Old 11-14-2000, 10:16 AM

Default Re: pls explain Audi/Goodyear mess up, "Y" rating, Tire Rack classific etc??

The "mess-up" by Audi was that they charged extra money for the sport package, which was suppose to include performance tires. Since I alternate between winter and summer tires, I was left with having to not only purchase my winter tires, but summer tires too. My point to Audi was that if they did not want to include performance tires with the sport package, that was fine--just don't say you are, and charge extra. The Y rating you refer to I assume is the speed rating. Y is the highest I believe, 180+ MPH, which is some what useless on an A6, because it has a speed limiter set at 130. The summer tires I considered were either V or Z rated, which are 149 and 149+ respectively. More than enough to meet the car's performance, without paying extra for the Y rating. As for my choice--the reason I excluded the Dunlop's were reports of scalloping, cupping and/or bubbling. I have no personal experience with them but read enough reports to eliminate them as a choice. My guess is that even though the A6 technically falls within the load limit of those tires, the A6 is probably at the upper end of the limit, and in real world use, too heavy for those tires if the car is consistently cornered hard. Don't forget, with a full load of gas and driver, the A6 easily tops 4,000 pounds. That is SUV country. I had a similar experience on other vehicles and tires in the past. As for the 730's, I can not say they are better than Pirelli's, Michelins, or others. I just did some research and concluded that they would work for me. I do not know what you mean by low cost/high performance compromise, they are Z rated tires,and not cheap, they just do not cost as much as a Y rated tire--but as noted above, a Y rated tire is probably overkill for the A6. Finally, the all-seasons may be just fine for you. They are not as good as winter tires under winter conditions, and not as good as summer tires under summer conditions, but work pretty good under all conditions. If they work for you, save your money until they are worn out.

Quick Reply: Question for all new 2.7T/PSK owners(Northeast delivery since Nov. 1)