A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Question re:"Progressive Rate Springs" for April, Chuck540 & other knowledgeable posters...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2002, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question re:"Progressive Rate Springs" for April, Chuck540 & other knowledgeable posters...

I can recall back in the mid & late 80's when I owned a 535is and then an M5, the oem sport springs were "Progressive Rate" meaning as I recall, the faster you went the more the springs compressed to enable better road feel and handling.

So does any manufacturer currently offer that for Audi today as a replacement for our oem sport suspensions, or was that just a marketing pitch designed to fuel our sporting aspirations at the time?

Rick Pardo
01 2.7QTipS, Cashmere/Melange, Cosmetics, Wheels & Tires;
99.5 A42.8QTipS, Laser/Opal, Cosmetics, Wheels & Tires;
98 Grand Cherokee Ltd., Black/Tan Leather, Running Boards & Flaps
Old 03-13-2002, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

"other knowledgeable posters...???" Boy, that's kinda limiting.
Old 03-13-2002, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Progressive rate explained....

to keep it short, linear springs are the same rate no matter how far they are compressed. if they are stiff they are always stiff and will be stiff until they are binding. if they are soft they will be soft until they bind.

Progressive on the other hand means that they have a soft inital rate, then turn hard as they are compressed more. This is nice for a smooth ride, as they will not keep the car rigid over small bumps and deviations in the road, but when you start to corner the weight is applied to the spring and they get into the stiff section that will give the effect you expect with spirited driving.

So to sum it up progressive springs are a way of giving you a sport suspension without the sacrifice of a constantly stiff ride.

Manufacturers that are progressive: Eibach, H&R, B&G, K&W. linear springs: Intrax, Apex. There are a lot more than that but thats about all I can think of now.
Old 03-13-2002, 01:03 PM

Ya, what Dan said. (I know squat about springs- and most everything else).
Old 03-13-2002, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

*zipping mouth shut*
Old 03-13-2002, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Re: Question re:"Progressive Rate Springs" for April, Chuck540 & other knowledgeable posters...

Progressive spring rate is a measure of how tight the coil of a spring is wrapped. An evenly distributed coil (distance between each segment of a springs coil) will provide a stock feel in the suspension as opposed to a coil that is tight on one end and then spaces out to a longer side on the other.

Hope this makes sense.

cL
Old 03-13-2002, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

On the contrary, I was putting myself in the "non" grouping!!
Old 03-13-2002, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Dan, so, what kind are provided as part of our oem option?
Old 03-13-2002, 01:19 PM

Default OEM audi sport pakage are Eibach, progressive, oem non-sport are most likely progressive as well...

just softer spring rates and slightly (~25mm) taller. I took my 99 through a corner at much to high a speed once and it was soft to a point and then the car just stopped rolling and pulled me through. It was a blind corner on an unfamiliar road right after I passed a taurus.
Old 03-13-2002, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default For fitments for our cars (A6s)...

Eibach pro-kit sport-springs are linear. ABT sport-suspension springs are linear. H&R coil-overs are progressive, as are KW coil-over springs. I don't know about anyone else's spring-sets.

The OEM springs (stock) are linear...don't know about the factory sport-springs.

HTH

Quick Reply: Question re:"Progressive Rate Springs" for April, Chuck540 & other knowledgeable posters...