A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Rear side airbags

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-1999, 08:52 AM
Phil R (MA)

Default Rear side airbags

Anyone have an opinion on the rear side airbags and young children? Safety issues with these?
Old 10-21-1999, 09:44 AM
larry

Dangerous if kids not wearing seatbelt. Car seat best in centre IMHO
Old 10-21-1999, 10:12 AM
Elmo

Default This whole airbag thing is really bugging me ...

I always wear my seat belt. Airbags are designed to protect those who choose not to. So for their sake, I'm driving around surrounded by sensitive, explosive devices that we don't really know much about in terms of longevity.

I've heard the term Social Darwinism applied to those who won't protect themselves in a car.
Old 10-21-1999, 12:19 PM
Stoney

I heard rumor that rear side bags are disabled unless 70 lb in seat
Old 10-21-1999, 01:09 PM
larry

Default Re: This whole airbag thing is really bugging me ...

I think side airbag can be very valuable in side
impact collision. Even if you wear seat belt all
the time, we have very little protection from side
impact - just imagine the distance between you and
the outter sheet metal. I don't care much about
front airbag, but I do want side airbage/sideguard
curtain. But you have to worry if you have kids
not wearing seatbelt, leaning against the window,
or seated back against the door....
Old 10-21-1999, 01:54 PM
Tony

Default Have 99 A6 Avant with them ...

Well after someone pulled out in front of me with our 96 wagon and totalled it we wanted rear side air bags (even with a child), even though the front air bags did damage to us would have been worse w/o them. We have a 8 year old and she sits in the CENTER seat position.
Old 10-21-1999, 02:14 PM
William

Default I believe the rear side and curtain restraint system is a plus because. . .

I primarily carry adults. So for me the potential benefit outweighed the potential for harm. However, if I do carry a niece or nephew I will be sure to place them in the center. Honestly, until the most recent info I would not have given it a second thought.

Also, if (see Stoney) the weight sensing in the seat (70lbs) is a feature on my vehicle I will feel even more positive about my choice.

William
Old 10-21-1999, 03:42 PM
larry

Default Oops, ignore the last post. Will try again... (more)

The server did not like my text browser, some of the words were deleted. This is what I intended to say:

I think side airbag can be very valuable in side impact collision. Even if you wear seat belt all the time, we have very little protection from side impact - just imagine the distance between you the outtermost sheet metal. I don't care much front airbag, but I do want side airbag and sideguard curtain. But you have to worry if you have kids not wearing seatbelt, leaning against the window or seated with back against the door....
Old 10-22-1999, 05:00 AM
Martin VW

Default Rumor vs. Reality: Can't have Side Airbag If You Have an Infant

I assume because the combination of child seat and child can exceed the 70 lbs. I disagree that putting an infnat in the middle is the safest alternative, from an anchoring standpoint. And it's not something you want to depend on a mechanical override to prevent serious injury to your infant. Dealer strongly advised against PEP package (side bags + xenon) with our first on the way.

I also asked about disabling the side bags, the dealer isn't allowed to do it. I'm sure it can be done, but it isn't worth it, IMO. We bought the car without the PEP package.
Old 10-22-1999, 05:04 AM
Martin VW

Default Misinformation: "Airbags are designed to protect those who choose not to"

Air bags are NOT designed to work without seat belts, they are a "supplemental restraint system." They are ABSOLUTELY designed to work WITH seat belts, and are less safe without.

Quick Reply: Rear side airbags