A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Roadtrip trouble - help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2003, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roadtrip trouble - help please

The golf roadtrip to Santa Fe has hit a snag...
Two days ago the check engine light came on at 63,775 miles. (I am scheduled to have the 64k service the day I return to Dallas). No unusual noises, no loss of power, everything seemed fine. The night before I mistakenly put Texaco midgrade in by mistake, but nothing else out of the ordinary. The service rep in Albq., my service rep in Dallas, and Audi Roadside assistance said continue driving it. It's possible a sensor has failed. But if the amber light went to red, pull over right away.
Today, after driving for forty five minutes at 55-60 mph I found a Chevron station and filled it up with supreme 91 octane. Upon pulling away from the station I began hearing a squeeling noise coming from beneath the hood. Possibly from around the driver's side wheel well. It got progressively worse over the next couple blocks until I pulled over. No signs of fluid loss. I began to limp home. It got louder. I stopped once more. I decided to nurse it to my place and the noise disappeared altogether. I've checked all fluids - oil, antifreeze, brake - all is fine. I just took it around the block once more a moment ago, no noise. Any suggestions or thoughts on what this could be? I am hoping to head back to Dallas in the morning, having to get towed to Albqueque and wait for the dealer to open on Monday would really suck. At least if I make it half way, they tow me to Dallas instead.

Thanks - Ed.
Old 07-04-2003, 12:54 PM
DWP
AudiWorld Super User

Default Did the squeal change with RPM? with road speed?

Need to figure if it's engine or brake/wheel related. If the latter, could be a dragging brake pad, or a stone in the caliper. If the former, maybe a belt is slipping - could be temperature related.

Sorry for your troubles, man. Sucks to be travelling when you have a car problem. I remember a time with my old Volvo.... well never mind.
Old 07-04-2003, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Did the squeal change with RPM? with road speed?

I first heard the noise pulling away from a light, not under braking. As I recall it seemed to get louder as I accelerated from a stop, but the noise continued as I applied brakes. I never took it above 15 mph after I first heard the noise. It's really hot here - 95 degrees plus. If there is no noise in the morning I'll start out for home very early. Waiting for a tow truck along I-40 won't be fun in mid-day heat.
Old 07-04-2003, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A golf trip of mine started like that...

back in '94 (Golf-fest '94)...my friends and I were about to head off on a 16 day, 18 round extravaganza throughout California and Arizona...in my friend's father's MB 190E when it began to overheat shortly away from the house...decided to bag the MB and rented a Camry...no problems over 1500 miles...

I don't know what your problem is but it sounds kinda belt-like unless it was directly speed related.

I'd have it checked out before leaving...or rent a Camry. Good luck.
Old 07-04-2003, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default does the squeel happen with the A/C on and off or the light on off??

could be the drive belt or AC compressor
Old 07-04-2003, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be a bearing in any of the accessory drives. A/C, P/S, alt, timing belt tensioner, etc.
Old 07-04-2003, 03:25 PM

Default AC on when squeel began...

...but I turned it off when I rolled down the window to hear the noise. I didn't remember turning the AC off till you asked, but it was off the remaining half mile home and the noise didn't come back...a rather important variable to forget...I just drove it a couple miles around the block...AC on and off...no noise. Hopefully it's AC related and not a drive belt. I'll leave town at 4 AM with the windows down. Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 07-04-2003, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I would say it is probably your A/C clutch or compressor bearing

was the AC working?
Old 07-04-2003, 08:06 PM

Default AC was working as normal...

Yes, it was working fine. No problems all week. I don't suppose belts are covered under warranty. So if I am stranded for a non-warranty item, the roadside reimbursement won't kick in - will it? When Boardwalk couldn't fit me in for my 64k service last week, I knew I should have gone to University Park instead. Hindsight....
Old 07-04-2003, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default my '00 did that briefly a few weeks ago....

...seemed to correct itself. But then again, I've got a good extended warranty and wasn't on a golf trip, so I didn't really give a fock.

The check-engine light is probably unrelated. I had a bout with that also, a few months ago. Dealer replaced several things (O2 sensors, TBB, etc.) and the final cure was to replace a bad MAF. CEL hasn't gone on since then.

Quick Reply: Roadtrip trouble - help please