A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

RS6 paddle shifters: any pictures? How do we know it will have them?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2002, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Isn't there a significant difference in the operation of Ferrari and BMW type systems vs Tip?

There are big differences between the 2.

Tiptronic is really minimally different from any automatic box that has 4,3,2,1 notches on the gate. It allows you to choose the shift points, or downshift in preparation for passing, eg, but still has the electronic mommy in case it doesn't like what you're doing (like the 1st gear feature).

The F1 system used by Ferrari & Aston Martin, as well as the new BMW SMG are essentially the same as a manual gearbox. The difference is that they use electromagnetic or hydraulic activation of the clutch. Each time the upshift paddle is pulled, the clutch activates, the next gear is selected and engaged. These systems also both include a throttle blip on the downshifts to perfectly match revs as you can do in a stick, but tiptronic will not do. Also, these systems, as far as I know, don't override your gear selection (eg. you have to downshift as you slow for a light, whereas tip will do it for you as you slow beneath preselected threshold speeds). These systems also have a "neutral." In the F1 system, you can engage neutral by pulling both up & down paddles together. There is then no "idle creep" if you take your foot off the brake.

There is, AFIK, no torque converter to sap power in the F1 & SMG.

Shift speed is supposedly much faster in the F1 & SMG. I read in EVO magazine (GB) that the SMG has 6 settings for shift speed, the 6th of which is just about as fast as the real F1 car's, & consequently is rather violent, so can only be accessed after the traction control, DSC, etc. is all turned off & suspension is full-hard.

I'm no engineer, and so probably am missing significant issues, but that's what I know.
Old 03-20-2002, 05:19 PM

S6 starts off in 1st gear? Don't the others?
Old 03-20-2002, 07:08 PM

Default Start in 1st, but apparently the tranny will self-shift out of first at fairly low RPM...

even when in tip mode. I haven't experienced this myself, as our allroad with tip lets me stay in 1st all the way to the limiter; but this is a common complaint among tip drivers. Perhaps it's only on some years or models.

BTW, what happened to the SS in your screen name?
Old 03-20-2002, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Correct, unless you go WOT tranny "auto" shifts to 2nd regardless of Tip or Auto mode...

and even then, WOT only holds 1st until the computer decides to send you to 2nd. Tip with the 4.2 (and I believe 2.7) is not effective for 1/2 shifts.

Moral of the story?: Use tip when you're high-speed on winding country roads and it helps (like, for instance, if you're trying to keep up with Stoney on a recreational drive..........). It helps in that (with the 4.2 at least) it holds a gear, and one gear will do 'ya for a lot of 30-70 mph driving. Not a tight gearing ratio setup, and one massive curve of hp and torque with the V8...who needs to shift? Just put it in 2nd (or 3rd) and drive. Plus, the engine is so damned quiet that you tend to forget about where it's at and what it's doing anyway. I tend to notice I'm approaching redline by the fact that small throttle inputs are more immediately reactive at high rpm than at lower rpm (vs. by most other cars that I've owned where sound/vibration are a much larger part of the driving equation).

I'm only complaining a little mind you, the 4.2 is one hell of a sweet motor, it just needs a better partner in the transmission department.

:-)