A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

S6 Electronic Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S6 Electronic Throttle

Purchased '02 S6 about 10 days ago. As I spend more and more time in the car there is one annoying thing that is just getting my goat. From a dead stop I never know what is going to happen when I depress the throttle. Some times I get this smooth power application with what I consider to be normal shifts (i.e., the car just pulls and pulls and seems like its power is neverending without having to go full throttle to the floor). Then at other times (more times than I really desire) I get this feeling that the car is starting in 3rd gear and the upshifts occur a 3-4000 rpm even if I have very little throttle depression or it feels like I'm getting only a partial, very limited or suppressed throttle opening. I've gotten to the point where I'm afraid to turn in front of oncoming cars because I never know which S6 I'll get (the nice seamless application of power like the car is capable or this sick feeling lackluster 4-cylinder feeling of a car that has trouble getting out of its own way).

I can't imagine I'm the only one who has experienced this thing. Are there software upgrades from Audi to get a more linear throttle every time I depress it. Are there aftermarket software available to cure this thing. The car is still under warranty but I haven't had time to see my local dealer yet.

Please help, the car is too much fun to live with this frustration.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You don't drive 2 footed by any chance?

All DBW Audis are programmed to understand that if the brake pedal is depressed at all, you want to stop (not go). If you are used to using one foot on the brake and one on the gas, the throttle will not respond very well when you want to go.

My father in law had a terrible time with his '00 A6 until the zone rep from the motherland rode along with him and introduced him to a new driving style.

That is all.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default many of us have enjoyed this feature.....

or some variation of throttle lag/shift lag.

first spend a day or two just driving in the sport mode. shift are quicker and lag is much less. many just leave it there.

tranny "learns" so this can be flushed and recoded at the shop. anyone with vag software can do this for you.

it is also rumored that before starting the car, by turning the ignition to the "on" position and holding down the gas pedal completely for some time frame (30-60sec) until a 'click' is heard the tranny is reset. i've done this and it seems to help with the d mode after weeks of leisurely driving....but it might be my imagination.

also don't forget the high octane gas.....a must for normal performance with this car.

there is a tip chip available that will quicken shifts...search for tiptronic or tip chip.

lastly drive by wire is just different.

and so how do you like the brakes? they are just as touchy as the throttle.

enjoy
Old 01-17-2005, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can you describe the conditions where it happens a bit more specifically?

As the posters below note, it might be a "feature" of the DBW coding and Tiptronic. From accounts on the board, it appears to happen most frequently when you're on the gas, on the brakes, and then back on the gas quickly. Such as when you accelerate out to the median to wait, and then try to jump into traffic.

The ECU lags behinds. Sport or Tip mode helps, as well as letting the transmission controller relearn, and premeditating the situation. As might an aftermarket TCU.

Try searching the forum for "Tip lag". I seem to remember some talk of a software upgrade, but I can't recall the specifics of who/why/when.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Normal to some extent. Audi's is not the finest implementation of drive-by-wire

Yours does sound a little extreme but if you search the forum you'll find an assortment of grumblings on the subject. It kills me that the electronic throttle in my G35 (for half the price) works so well that you would never guess it was not a traditional cable.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well, interesting story then.... I'm driving a loaner from my dealer, an A4 1.8T, which is DBW,

and unknown to me at the immediate moment, the rubber floor mat was not snapped into place and the mat gets stuck under the accelerator pedal, trapping it to the floor when I, um, floor it. (So I'm used to my RS6 power and this car is like a Fred Flintstone mobile with my feet through the floorboard.) At any rate, the car takes off like a jackrabbit, in 5:00 Chicago traffic in the city on a major road (North Ave.) and the brakes are NOT slowing the car down, nor are they electronically cancelling any acceleration. I'm literally standing on the brakes with both feet and the car is still rocketing forward. Talk about unintended acceleration.

So, I throw it in neutral, not caring in the least bit about the engine and I shut off the engine. Then of course the car comes to a stop, with no power assist at that point, and on some snow, so I'm sliding for the curb.

Fun stuff on a Thursday evening. Dislodged the floor mat and was on my merry way. It's amazing how easy the seats clean up afterwards too.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default So, maybe the DBW isn't that smart after all. If 2 pedals are pressed, it does the opposite of what

you really want to do.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Do a search in the allroad forum with the term

BTL or "brake throttle lag".

The work around is don't use the brakes. j/k

It's a pain I know first hand and after a lot of investigation it's the programming of the motronic (ECU) that is to blame. It uses various sensor inputs on the car to to second guess your intent. It's trying to protect you from, God forbid, unitended acceleration!

On the Turbo cars ther is zero boost while this is happening. On the S6 it feels like cylinders 1-4 have been disconnected. The work around is to lift off the throttle and then push. Sort of "double clutch" the throttle.

None of the chip makers have even looked at this... they are intersted in horsepower numbers more than improved driveability of "normal" operations.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Well, it didn't supress the acceleration or even the boost.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Welcome to the world of "**** your pants in the median" DBW

First time it happended to me I almost got t-boned. I filed a complaint with the NHTSA and you should do the same.

The DBW is also sensitive to the speed at which you get into the pedal.

Quick Reply: S6 Electronic Throttle