A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Servotronic: Remove or put in switch? (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2002, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servotronic: Remove or put in switch? (Long)

Just worked on my 2000 A6 2.7T. Intended to put in switch, as posted in Tech articles, so took lower dash cover off. I think the description of the steering column cover removal is a bit vague. Actually it is the molding at the base of the steering column which snaps out by pulling back and then upwards, revealing 2 hex screws on either side of the lower dash cover. The other 3 screws to be removed are detailed in Tech articles.
Anyway, the servotronic module is well exposed by lowering the entire lower dash cover (do not pull cover out, as wires to the floor light are still attached), so removal and reinsertion of the module (mine was labelled 392, not 605, BTW) is no sweat (others have posted that reinsertion is difficult, probably because the entire cover was not lowered).
However, isolating the black wire to splice and cut by removing the module insertion piece from its holder (it is held in by clips that you push toward the insertion piece to remove from the holer)was a difficult task, as it is part of the larger wiring harness, and needed to be displaced far downwards to clear the holder panel in front of it. Rather than risk pulling on the rest of the wiring harness, I took the car out for a test drive w/ the module out.
Well, the road feel is MUCH better, and effort is quite acceptable for e.g., parking, IMHO, even for my wife. Therefore, the module stayed out.

Anybody found a way to easily and safely free up more of the black wire of the Servotronic unit to splice into?
Old 08-11-2002, 03:17 PM

Default I think the best solution for a switch is to pull the cover off the module and attach the wires

there. Then there are no modifications to the car's wiring harness. Check with search or perhaps it is in Stoney's FAQ.

- Tom
Old 08-11-2002, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I was going to make a breakout connector (simply jumper wires) between connector and module...

and physically remount the module nearby.

Also I wanted to use the blank dash button, so I would need a latching relay circuit.

Since the feel of my 628 module (comes in 2002 cars; I bought mine) in combination with the wide tires on my 4.2, I may not bother with the switch anyway.

If I recall correctly, the 605 was slightly less boosted than the 392 when I tried them in my car. The 628 was noticably less boosted than the 605, but not by a large margin. With no module at all, it was just too damn heavy at lower speeds. At middle speeds (40 - 45 mph), it felt a bit better out. At higher speeds, I didn't feel it was any more precise or agile (in fact, I think the boost from the module goes to zero at high speeds).
Old 08-11-2002, 09:36 PM

Default Steering effort w/o module at high speeds

I haven't been able to test the car at high speeds due to a front tire that has a worrisome deep crack in the tread. Will be getting wider 235/45 x 17 tires next week, so I will see if the steering becomes unacceptably heavy at slower speeds with them instead of the stock 215/55 x 16. I am used to heavy steering (from driving a M3), so the A6 steering feels light even without the 392 module.
Old 08-11-2002, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Directions for splicing a switch into the module are vague...

I believe I tracked down every post on this subject in the archives. If I'm correct, the last installment was instructions to splice a switch in series with pin #15 inside the module. I have the equipment to do this, but after some inspection, I discovered pin #15 isn't a power connection. From what I've read, we want to conect/disconnect power using the switch. Pin 15 ain't power.
I hope 1 or 2 of you out there know what I'm talking about.
In any event, Does anyone know which module pin connects to the "black wire" in the harness? I'm looking for the pin number on the module, not connection number as noted in the schematics.

I pulled my 605 and my wife says she can live with it that way. I still want the switch for dearler visits...

Thanks,
...bill '01 2.7T TIP Pearl white
Old 08-11-2002, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I don't think dealers will care. Cars are often shipped in Europe without the module.
Old 08-12-2002, 05:13 AM

Default I think it is switching the ground - mentioned in a post about a year ago.

I don't have my Bently here at work, maybe someone can check it.

- Tom
Old 08-12-2002, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I had to tug sort of hard and peel back...

some of that gooey cloth electrical tape to expose enough of the black wire to work with. This weekend I will testing a $7-$10 relay and circuit that will (at least, theoretically) disable the relay when in Tip mode. I'll post my results when I have 'em...
Old 08-12-2002, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Interesting idea!