A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Which should be the snow mobile this winter...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2001, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which should be the snow mobile this winter...

for skiing in the Sierras. Don't live in the snow, but will travel into it several times.

a. '01 4.2 sport, do not have any winter wheels/tires
b. incoming S6 Avant, will not yet have any winter wheels/tires
c. Just keep the old Outback as its resale value is near nil and use it as the beater (the only problem with this option is I think the wife will have a cow having a 4th car, she is not real happy about my inability to allow myself to give up my '85 CRX)

Thanks for any input, although I don't really expect you to make my decision for us, but it is a quandry I am stuck in. The Audis would be awesome in the snow, but I hate to see them get abused by the road crap, I dislike the results of clearbra treatments, and I will never put a "bra" on the car. I am considering using either Audi and racing-taping the front end and vulnerable areas prior to mucking it up.
Ohhhh....such problems!!!
Old 07-17-2001, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah, such problems... My vote: keep the Outback, though it'll be tough to use w/ the S6 around.
Old 07-17-2001, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Get some decent all-season tires for one and you have your answer...

Won't take up as much space as a 4th car and you can use the insurance savings to buy the tires. Also, skis and equipment should fit nicely in the Avant.
Old 07-17-2001, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah, it was tough with the 4.2 around this past year, but when the crap was bludgeoning the front..

end of the Outback, I was happy it wasn't the A6.
Old 07-17-2001, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What's your beef with clearbra???

Put that on either Audi (I'd say both...) and get a set of decent all-seasons or dedicated snows and go to town.

CO is known for their road gravel and my '00 looks great still after 1.5 winters!
Old 07-17-2001, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Personal preference...orange peel appearance of clearbra...

bothers me...it is too noticeable, for me. Also, there are too many imperfections around the edges where the cut edge is visible. If someone doesn't know it is on the car and doesn't look closely enough, it is not noticeable, but I look a lot closer way too often and it was a compromise I just couldn't be happy with. I have seen several installs of this or similar products. The best I ever saw was on an S4 whose owner kindly went out of his way to meet me and show me his car. It really was unnoticeable on the fenders and mirrors, but the hood and a few areas of the grille just stood out too much. The install was done by the Clearbra group in Utah, so it wasn't done by some schmuck.
If I lived in Colorado or some other area where my car would be brutalized all the time, the compromise would likely be worth it for me, but things aren't too bad in the bay area, so the few nicks and scratches on the front facade, while painful, are less so than the clearbra compromise. The partial front job where only the first few inches of the hood are covered does not appeal to me either as I can see that line too easily. Additionally, I am concerned about the shine after a couple years. The surface of this plastic material has to get micro-scratches that dull the shine of the car which can't be buffed out like with the clear coat, IMO. Although this opinion is not supported by personal experience, so it may not really be a problem.
Just a personal opposition, they can be right for many people, even most.

Yes, I want my cake and I want to eat it also, just no one has developed the PERFECT solution, unfortunately, we all compromise in some way.
Old 07-17-2001, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Fair enough, just curious.
Old 07-17-2001, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Last I remember you were giving me crap....

...about my wife's Expedition. See how easy life is for me here in Colorado? So maybe it is not as much fun as the S6 Avant but it is nice to get in and just go without thinking about when to put on the snows etc...OK OK so I am still jealous of your wifes incoming S6 Avant so I have to justify the spongy Expedition somehow. Remember the days of worrying whether to spend the $2 in your pocket on gas or beer? You are in an enviable position.

After all that, I would keep the Outback and give up the CRX. That way you can make the wife happy and still preserve the his/hers Audis. Sounds like a win/win to me. Good luck with the tough decision...and reconsider that Expedition purchase.
Old 07-18-2001, 12:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default We were just going through some old posts and the one about your wife's lovely...(long)

Expedition caught my wife's eye...she immediately ran out of the house, jumped in the Outback and drove to the local Ford dealer to check it out...not 15 minutes later, she pulls up in a big red Excursion (she thought the Expedition was for pretenders but since it can't fit in the garage, the CRX is still safe
Ok, give me much crap about the Outback, but actually, we have both been very happy with it (except its unhealed cylinder head problem) and we have been responsible for many other friends and family purchasing similar, although nicer, versions. It does many things very well although is somewhat less than blood-pumping.
I do joke about the cruel scam car companies have perpetrated against us (ie. massive, very non-sporty "S"UVs), but it is just a joke and I hope you both are happy with it...although with the money you drop on filling that beast up...you could probably get 2 S6 Avants
I remember, not many years ago, taking $5 at a time out of the ATM because I only had $7.85 in it and we'd drink Genesee Cream Ale for $0.99-$1.50 per 6 pack (on sale) and awake with the Genny screamers....arrrggghhhh
I don't really know how the wife agreed to this...but I was extremely pleasantly surprised...I think 50% of it is that she knows I will be happy with it (she's a good wife)...I guess I'll be moonlighting a bit for the next couple years...but it is worth it
The CRX will never go...but it will likely find its way out of the garage and into a facility for its upcoming and soon to be started complete overhaul including engine replacement with the Japanese edition CRX Si engine, among many improvements and replacements...it will be fun again
Have fun in Colorado, I am envious of that...would love to live in ski-land and enjoy your many expeditions in your...
Old 07-18-2001, 04:51 AM

Default Big snows here last winter were handled easily.....

with my 4.2sport and snow tires and rims. The only problem were the drifts which caused a little consternation b/c of the clearance. The car handled the unploughed B roads and alleys well, thankfully.

Ski country probably offers a bit more of this clearance issue and it's one to consider b/c you'll definately be bottoming in the real deep stuff. I think the Allroad with it's adjustable height suspension would be perfect for frequent trips to ski country, imho.

Quick Reply: Which should be the snow mobile this winter...