A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

So has anybody read the latest issue of CAR?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So has anybody read the latest issue of CAR?

Seems that VAG didn't get the cheque into the mail in time;-)

The Golf (non-GTi - GTi not available yet) against BMW 1 series, saw the BMW preferred for handling dynamics. Of course they also concluded that the 1 series was the world's first 4 door 2 seater, and with limited space under the hatch. So it might be better to get the 2 series if driving fun is priority one. Get the Golf if you actually have to move people of things.

Then they pitched the Mini against the 1 series. That was more of a six-of-one, half-dozen-of-another kind of result. Puts Mini at a bit of a disadvantage, since it a nostalgia based car, and it will be hard to grow much.

The new diesel A6 went up against the Jag S-Type and BMW 5 series. They really hammered the BMW for looks (sagging middle aged jowls and droopy belly) and material quality but liked the engine. The Jag was dated but rode well out in the twisty country roads. The Audi was a hands down favourite for materials and execution, but the harsh ride (brittle was used repeatedly) was thoroughly despised. Surprise! The Jag won - of course (British car mag). They placed the Audi last.

Best of all, was an interview with VAG chief Burnt Fishtrousers (Bernd Pischetsrieder). The gist of it was:

Just because a car or technology is cool, does not mean it should be built. A slam of Piech, the former chairman who was an egineer's engineer.

The GTi name and reputation has been squandered. Future GTis will be much more focused and unique.

Audi is VAG's best brand at the moment.

The Phaeton failed because it was not distinctive enough - not because of price. The top selling Touareg is the V10, and it isn't exactly cheap - but sells very well.

The new A6 and present A4 are not ideal with the engine hanging over the front axle. Look for future Audi models to have better weight distribution.

Ask buyers what they don't like, not what they want. What they want will change, but what they don't like, changes very little. Buyers cannot know what technology is in the pipeline.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default But the A6 won a comparsion in Automobile, IIRC.

Don't Car and Automobile usually share articles? Maybe my recollection is off... I didn't post about the article 'cause I suspected it would have been a repost. ;^)
Old 07-30-2004, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default They do sometimes share. But since these were diesels

it isn't really relevant to us here:-)
Old 07-30-2004, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I've heard the 'brittle' comment about the Audi ride mentioned in other British reviews.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default this comment right here concerns me...

"The new A6 and present are not ideal with the engine hanging over the front axle. Look for future Audi models to have better weight distribution."

what is he saying exactly?...I'll tell you, if i was thinking about a C6 (unless he's talking about the C5) in my near future i would be thinking twice - and maybe waiting for this new design...This can't help those coming sales
:-/
Old 07-30-2004, 12:06 PM

Default A6 won comparo in latest Top Gear

against Merc, BMW and Jag. Even though the tone of the article as it rolls along doesn't seem that positive, Audi pulls it out at the end.

Yes, CAR and AUTOMOBILE are in bed together and share almost the same writing staff, sometimes Karcher does a thin rewrite of one article for the other mag.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Porsche made do very well with just the opposite arrangement:-)

It's just that people don't like to see wider wheels on the FRONT of a car ;-)

Actually Audi has been working on something to help rectify the situation in the new A6. I'm not at liberty to talk just yet, but let's just say it will make some of you very very happy ;-)
Old 07-30-2004, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default well oversteer is way more fun ;-)...*rubbing hands together* oh please tell about this new A6...

be your best friend..and i won't tell anyone...i promise :^D
Old 07-30-2004, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Patience my Dears :-) Soon.
Old 07-30-2004, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I thought that was part of the reason they made the car longer, to average out the weight a bit.

There does seem to be more space between the front axle and the leading edge of the front doors. The new rear bias Torsen should help too.

Also, altho Porsche has the engine hanging way out behind the car I didn't think it hindered turn in performance like having an engine hanging way out over the front end. I also wonder how much of it is a perception/marketing problem and not so much of a real issue. Do Audis really have worse steering response than BMWs? Is that because of the engine positioning or because of the steering rack geometry?

Quick Reply: So has anybody read the latest issue of CAR?