A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

speaking of RS6 0- 60 times, Automobile mag had 4.3 in December

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speaking of RS6 0- 60 times, Automobile mag had 4.3 in December

"Dec 2002 Automobile Magazine.

Article Summary.

BMW M5 is the winner....

Jag S-type R 12 mpg 0-60 5.7 sec 1/4 mile 14.2 sec @ 100 mph
The four valve per cylinder, 4.2-liter V8 from Coventry is seriously strong, yet it still lags a long way behind the three valve per cylinder Benz...

While the three German cars stay hot on each other's heels when pushed, the Jag slowly but surely, drops back. It loses 1.4 sec to the RS6 from 0 -60 mph, it is more than 4 sec behind the E55 at the 100mph mark and it takes almost twice as long as it rivals to reach the electronically governed 155 mph top speed.

Jag's extra gear can't mask its relative lack of pulling power. The Jag in particular is hampered by the fretful demeanor of it digital watchdogs (Electronic stability control)

Pitch, dive and sway are far too pronounced. Brakes are excellent, steering is direct and precise, but the engine does not communicate particularly well with the transmission...

The Jag rides remarkably well. It is quiet and refined, lavishly appointed and nicely assembled. We might be able to overlook the cramped cabin and the small trunk, but we can't ignore the underwhelming straightline performance and the overall lack of agility.

Audi RS6 13 mpg 0-60 4.3 sec 1/4 mile 12.8 sec @ 109 mph
Caught off-kilter, humming along at low revs in a high gear, the turbo V-8 takes a second or two to build up to full boost, but once therem, it loads up the driveline like a Pratt & Whitney jet engine at full afterburner.

thanks to the AWD the RS6 puts the power down with aplomb. It is unfortunately, nose-heavy, a trait that makes it understeer strongly. The RS6 also has the knobbliest ride. especially at low speeds. It also has a heavy steering

The Audi Dynamic Ride Control (DRC) keeps body motions in check. DRC gives the RS6 a speed advantage in the corners, but at the expense of feedback and response. The car remains so consistently flat, discovering the limits is a strangely uninvolving experience.

The RS6 is blindling fast. But little niggles such as wind noises, questionable directional stability on uneven surfaces and the lumpy ride bring it down.

M5 14mpg 0-60mph 4.8 sec 1/4 mile 13.2 sec @ 108mph
It has the best steering, which is accurate, quick enough but never nervous and very three dimensional in the way it transmits messages to your palms

The M5 corner by corner, more elastic and nimble than its rivals.

Five years old, the M5 still manages to beat the new kids on the block. The BMW simply drives better than the rest. ...it strengths are a beautifully progessive and creamy engine, a neatly spaced six speed gearboxm great steering ample brakes, and the best chassis in the super sedan league.

The M5 doesn't ride as well as the Jag, lack the explosive power of the Merc, and can't match the traction and ultimate grip of the Audi. But as a whole, the BMW is a masterpiece.

E55 11 mpg 0-60mph 5.0 sec 1/4mile 13.1 sec @ 112mph

With the stability and traction off, the E55 can't wait to demonstrate its own pirouette, which is more difficul to control because of slower steering and considerably greater mass. In addition, the Airmatic suspension affords too much body roll, to the detriment of at the limit handling.

The Benz does not decelerate as well as expected. It electrohydraulic brakes feel strangely passive, heavy and lifeless that feeling was backed up by the longest 70 to 0 mph stopping distance. The steering deserves criticism for its rubbery response and uneven weighting."
Old 11-05-2002, 04:37 PM

Default Thanks! Although I doubt the 4.3 sec will be consistent with the magazines. Too heavy

of a car to run those numbers from a stock machine. Compare the numbers from sports cars (viper,911,Z06, etc).

No way the Audi will run with these cars! I think we will see more numbers closer to 5.0 secs and low 13. Just my opinion.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:50 PM

I think they put the sail up for that particular test, and ran the RS6 down the hill perhaps...
Old 11-05-2002, 09:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have seen a 2.7T Tip run 13.9 on a hot day...

with a chip and exhaust. I would expect that 0-60 times that are well under 5 sec should be very possible (depending on stall speed of tranny and gearing) and high 12's should be a possibility. I think you are underestimating the car. Most of us will never see one, much less see an owner actually wring one out.
Old 11-05-2002, 11:14 PM

Default Thks, finally a comparison of the 4 superpowers. So much INconsistency between tests.

Must read the full article to understand better what you weren't able to include in the summary.

Some of Automobile mag's comments on each car are different from other reviews. An amazing range of results. Now RS6 does 0 to 60 in 4.3secs (vs. 5.5 sec for the Kabel1 testers)? Now the M5's gearbox is not "notchy" but "neatly spaced"? The M5's brakes are now "ample" compared to the RS6? The M5 is now a "masterpiece"? Automobile mag now says that the RS6 has "inert steering" compared to the Kabel1 testers observation that its steering was "very direct and precise" and "handling as if on rails" and "best impression on the slalom course?"

Maybe it is the inconsistent car condition from one test to another (one test uses a new car, another test has a broken in car, another test has a "used" car that had been thrashed around in a previous test). Maybe it is the road conditions. Maybe it is the competence, objectivity and habits of the testers (what are the standards?). One car test I read mentioned the testers stopping to have lunch at the restaurant that was formerly owned by the magazine's editor, who has now changed jobs to testing cars. Maybe this tester is a habitual BMW driver, and is critical of anything out of his comfort zone. Or maybe not.

With respect to 0 to 60 times, Audi needs to provide guidelines to testers on how to extract the best times from the RS6.

For a 0 to 60 run, is the best way to launch the RS6 simply to set the auto gearbox to Sport program mode and just kickdown the throttle? For rapid throttle input, the Sport gearshift pattern delays upshifting, thus pushing each gear up to a higher speed at full throttle. Or is the best way a brake-rev to 2000rpm-release start?

Doing a 0 to 60 with the auto gearshift in "Drive" probably won't be optimal. The Dynamic Shift Program (DSP) in a relatively new car hasn't learned a new tester's driving style to make the optimum shift point/range available.

Doing a 0 to 60 while manually shifting in Tiptronic mode probably may also not be optimal because of the Tiptronic gearbox limitations vs. a true manual gearbox such as on the M5. Etc. How long would gearshifts take to complete? 0.2 to 0.3 seconds?
Old 11-06-2002, 02:01 AM

Default Inconsistency not only in performance but also on how the car drives, feels and handles. This proves

that when it comes to road tests they are far from being a perfect science one can trust. Sometimes I wonder if the cars are really driven and tested properly? No only are those test full of discrepencies when compared to each other but in some cases totally delutional.
The one common factor though is the noticeable biased for the M5 (except Kabel1). Is it that hard to dethrone the king?
A good example is the Auto Express RS6/M5 review where they say the speed is governed to 155 mph. By saying this they are just quoting the manufacturer's figures, and thus did not take the car to that speed (with proper testing equipment) as they would have found that the RS6 exceeds 155 mph as reported by various magazines...

4.3 to 60 mph seem a bit quick.... So now we have differences of as much as 1 second between the various road test, on the assumption that 0-62 mph is .2 second longer.
Old 11-06-2002, 02:08 AM

Default My S6 does 13.65 sec (at sea level) and it's also a tip., but only 5.5 sec to 62 mph,

thus +/- 5.3 to 60 mph and the mods are not dramatic.
Old 11-06-2002, 09:41 AM

Default Good insight. You have to wonder. But I felt even the Kabel1 commentary has an underlying tone of

preference for the M5, even after all the great things said about the RS6. It was almost like "RS6 was great, yeah but M5 can also do something almost as good as that"...

Of course, this is speculation unless one can understand the German commentary with a Grman brain. I also wonder if the Kabel1 tester launched the RS6 on "D" or "man tiptronic" modes not the "Sports mode." They may have filmed over dozen different starts with different results and just picked that one for dramatic effect. I wish I could have been a fly on the track railings.

Which brings me to a point I said before. At the end of the day, it is individual perception not some "accepted, common" standard that rules. Still we must try...
Old 11-06-2002, 10:08 AM
Craggy Old Man

Default And another do 4.9 0-60 and 13.4 1/4, boy they are getting lower and lower

And that car was not tuned yet and was at daily driving temps.
Old 11-06-2002, 10:22 AM
Craggy Old Man

Default that car was doing 5.0's and 13.6-13.7 but that was using gtech

guess thats not too bad considering costs were for a chip and exhaust. Someone has to get a timeslip to verify those times.
That 13.9 when using the nhra corrections for altitude equates to 13.80 at sea level and the triple digits temps will drop that even more.

Quick Reply: speaking of RS6 0- 60 times, Automobile mag had 4.3 in December