A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Sport Option in 4.2

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2000, 05:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport Option in 4.2

I'm giving serious thought to a 4.2. Would appreciate feedback from those you have 4.2's. Which did you opt for? any regrets? What about the performance tires w/ the sport and snow? Thanks.
Old 12-31-2000, 07:57 AM

Default Re: Sport Option in 4.2

I just got a 4.2 with sport, premium, rear bags, cd changer.....

and just got back from a quick spin around town....went up a few driveways and down a few.....not a problem...I'm having second thoughts on spending the money for snow tires.

Also....you must get the sport pack....BIG difference in road feel and handling.
Old 12-31-2000, 08:31 AM
JP4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sport suspension highly recommended. However make sure the sport seats fit you comfortably first. It's my impession that the "large frame" folks aren't as comfortable in the sport seats on long rides. Standard 4.2 seats are very comfortable but don't give as much lateral support as the sport seats. If you would spec out a 2.7T with all the options that a 4.2 has, the price difference isn't as much as it initially appears. And the effortless power of the V8 is a thing of beauty. A very nice "note" (albeit subdued) and as smooth as a baby's bottom. The "highway" gears in the differentials of the 4.2 will result in mpg figures at least as good as the 2.7T with ever so slighty slower 0-60 times. In steady state cruise on the Interstate my 4.2 gets just over 25 mpg. When you want to get seriously agressive the mileage will of course come down accordingly. The overall exterior look of the 4.2 is more aggressive as are the bigger tires. I would recommend all the bells and whistles that you can afford. They're all quite useful, even the nav system. I think ESP is standard now but it wasn't on mine (MY2000). I didn't order it or the heated seats and now wish I did. If your going to have high performance tires with the sport package, (255/40/17), which again, I recommend, and you live in an area with any appreciable amount of snow/ice in the winter, I would get another set of tires/wheels for winter use. YES....Quattro makes up for some of the lose of snow/ice grip with HP tires but IMHO why compromise on safety. The friction coeficients between the rubber and the road is what it's all about. So put some rubber on there that will optimize your results for the extremes of each season (summer/winter). Again...this is my opinion on the subject. I've done this on my last 2 vehicles and have never regretted it.

Another recommendation.....Get headlight and clear front end protection if you planning to keep the car for a while. i.e. Stoneguard or something similar. I got it for my headlights (Xenons) and not for the front grill. The rock chips on the front end bug the heck out of me and could have been avoided.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-31-2000, 11:14 AM

What do you mean by clear, front end protection?
Old 12-31-2000, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: One complaint at 10K miles

My headliner creaks, it has been taken down twice and still creaks. When you are on the straight and level all is well. Traverse on to a slope and it comes alive. The dealer has tried hard to fix it.

OK 2, wind noise on the driver's side door and the seat behind. Make sure your headliner is quiet and they can be! and you will have a winner.
Old 12-31-2000, 06:24 PM

Default Opposite for me....

With 30" so far in December without a thaw, I couldn't imagine traversing some of our Chicago sidestreets and alleys without snows. My friend who did not have 'em (4.2) said it was like driving a dog on ice skates! The sport suspension is awesome on a dry road in summer, but this time of the year the clearence is about 3/4" (20mm) lower than stock! All the more reason to get a higher sidewall snow setup and leave your sport rims in the garage 'till spring.
Old 12-31-2000, 08:59 PM
JP4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: What do you mean by clear, front end protection?

It's a bra for the front surfaces of the car but it's a clear poly that is put on similar to a decal. The headlight protectors are easy to put on yourself but I think I would have a professional but the clear bra on.<ul><li><a href="http://www.stoneguard.com/sgcontent/what_sg.asp">Here's one place that explains what they are and sells them!</a></li></ul>
Old 01-01-2001, 12:21 PM

Default I love the sport seats, (although I'm not a real big guy) like the wheels, (more)

but will aftermarket new lower springs. As for snow, I felt very uncomfortable with the stock P6000's. Felt like I was a kid on skis..... I went with snows and it feels alot better. Good luck. You're gonna love the car. By the way, I got most all the options, too.
Old 01-01-2001, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Have the sport 4.2, excellent. I preferred the somewhat firmer, lower ride and love the sport seats (6 ft-170lb). You can't go wrong.
Old 01-02-2001, 04:31 AM

Dont even think about using all seasons either. If you get a car of this performance caliber it must have snow tires to use the quattro: four wheels sliding around are not going to help you any more than 2 would - unless you are an FIA Rally Driver!

D.

Quick Reply: Sport Option in 4.2