A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Stupid Question of the day (bored at work)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid Question of the day (bored at work)

As everyone on the East Coast knows, the sun has been "suspended" from the Life forum (cheers, no dot). My car is filthy, and has not even had its first wax since I got it a month ago. Tomorrow's forecast is for clear skies, with 5 days following of more rain. Do I spend the hours doing the work tomorrow (as I am taking the day off) or should I wait? Please help!! ;-)
Old 06-05-2003, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stupid Answer of the day (also bored at work)

At least wash & dry the car. Then, if you're into it, do more. The way it's been going, rain will come within a few days of waxing, whenever you decide to do it.

I got up early & washed mine before work today. It was a quick job, but I just couldn't stand it any longer.
Old 06-05-2003, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I just did the same thing Sunday. Ifigure there are worse ways to spend an hour than

washing a car and listening to music. Waxing takes an extra hour maybe (with removal). At least if you wax it tomorrow, you don't have to worry about doing it again for a while.

-st
Old 06-05-2003, 10:25 AM

Default An hour? With those BBS wheels? And vanilla/ebony interior?

Without the wax, minimum 1.75 hours. The interior has to get done. The black dash/rugs show every speck of dust, and the vanilla seats throw a hissy fit if you look at them funny. Having only washed the car once so far, I haven't gotten a "technique" down yet for the wheels. After the cleaning, I "shine" the tires. Also, with the well publicized brake dust problems on the '03's, at minimum I will want to wax the wheels even if I don't wax the car. Yes, the enthusiasm will fade as the car gets older, but I'm still in the honeymoon phase. Come December I'll be taking it to the hand car wash (or worse).
Old 06-05-2003, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A regular old sponge is the best for the wheels. I have a black interior so I just

clean it every 2/3 weeks or when it gets real dusty. I shake the mats out every few days though.

Interior definitely takes a while though, I was just talking about the exterior.

My car has never been washed by anyone else in 3 years except my detailer : ) Oh, and the dealer - twice even though I told them not to.

-st
Old 06-05-2003, 10:39 AM

I'm impressed. What do you do in the winter?
Old 06-05-2003, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I use to use those self wash places and bring my own soap and mitt, etc.

Now I have a heated garage with a drain so I can wash it indoors : )

-st
Old 06-05-2003, 10:55 AM
Elder Member

Default I spray my BBS's with p21 wheel cleaner right before I wash my car. Then

I wash the car and rinse the wheels. I take my cloth and left over car washing suds and quickly wash the wheels. Adds about 5 to 10 minutes to the car washing time. They are a pain; but, they look good and they're not super heavy. Woth it to me! I have the same interior. Lexol cleaner and don't over condition. Hope this helps. No better looking interior in my opinion.
Old 06-05-2003, 10:59 AM

Now THAT's living large!
Old 06-05-2003, 11:20 AM

Default Re: interior, agreed. Question:

If one must "clean" the wheels anyway, what good is the pre-treatment? It's not that there's a problem with them not coming clean, it's just the seemingly enless number of surfaces to touch.

Quick Reply: Stupid Question of the day (bored at work)