A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Suspension Questions :: Sedan vs Avant :: -01 vs 02+

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Questions :: Sedan vs Avant :: -01 vs 02+

So I am doing some suspension research. I've run Bilstein before on many cars and love their products but I am not willing to shell out $1600+ for PSS9 right now. Not to mention the adjustment coils offer is useless for most on the street.

Hence I am considering their B12 kit, which is a European-only item that offers fixed ride height (35mm drop) with new shocks valved specifically to the springs. I can get this kit from TM Tuning for a mere $950 USD, but want to make sure it fits first.

What I'd like to know (from those in-the-know), is.... firstly, are sedan and avant suspensions interchangeable? (Yes I realize they might be valved or springs rated different, but are the actual hardware mounting points identical, etc?)

Secondly, were any of the facelift changes in 02 changes that would affect suspension fitment as well, or are the underpinings the same? In other words, all c5-chassis cars (A6, S6, RS6) and all years compatible with other years?

TIA for any help...
Old 11-22-2006, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If you're willing to spend that much why not consider H&R coils for a couple hundred more?
Old 11-22-2006, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default For a few reasons ... first off, every penny counts ....

(lets face it, a couple hundred is actually more like 25% here, thats a big difference)..

..and the second reason is that coil-over suspension is really useless. It was brought to the street-car from race-applications. When have you seen someone with a street car actually use corner-scales to properly weigh the car based on gas, load, etc? Its a race-feature that us street-drivers do not need.

Of course, you can argue that it allows you to dial the car up for winter (snow) and down for summer (show). But very few people take the time to do this, and you'd need an alignment every time you did. That gets cumbersome, expensive, and just in general, its a hassle.

Sorry to preach.. i'll get off my soap-box now. But for most consumers, all we need is a stiffer suspension. Lowering the car alters a lot and technically, its not good for the dynamics of the control arms. There have been arguments on all sides of the fence here.. so yeah, hope that answers the question
Old 11-22-2006, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Easy for you to say! U're in an S6! U're already lowered!

But jokes aside, I understand your reasons, me personally I want a tighter ride and the lowered look to be specific. That's why I chose coils. I hear you on the PSS9s, expensive!!!
Old 11-23-2006, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 1) he never said S6. 2) I do find lowering to have a significant benefit

I do have an S6. But I also lowered several previous cars with Bilstein sport kits that had threaded spring perches. I am actually NOT a big fan of very stiff suspensions, btu excellent damping and lower center of gravity seem to do quite a lot.

I agree that if you go PSS9, whcih I probably will whenever my factory suspension mushes up, you ned to invest in set up, including gettng the F/R balance right for most neutral handling possible in these nose heavy pigs of cars, and alignment.

Grant
Old 11-23-2006, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

he didn't have to say S6, since his signatute includes a pic of his S6.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Oh. Didn't look - just read what he had to say. But then, how can he expect to swap

like sedan for avant sicne there never was a C5 S6 sedan? I'm a bit lost here.

No worry, I dont actually need to know.

Grant