A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

TB and valve cover gasket change questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 10:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely on the C5 platform. The first picture was definitely wrong (although it's physically closest to where yours is located. What I was looking at is probably more to the right (towards the rear).

I will try and get better pictures tomorrow, but what I was looking at more recently is about a foot further towards the rear. The main problem is what isn't in the picture. The larger part next to the bolt doesn't seem to have the indentation that you've got (and that I've seen in every other picture), and actually seems to go up to some kind of sensor or wire. Then again, it could have just been the angle that I was looking.

From an old AW forum post:

https://forums.audiworld.com/archive...t-2764477.html

I'm starting to lean towards having to get that pipe out of the way, and then it will be right where yours is. Unhooking that bracket is going to be a pain because I will basically have to cut an allen wrench down to get it into a bolt over the AC lines to get it loose enough to unscrew by hand. I'm hoping that will give me enough room (and that's where it is).
Old 06-04-2012, 10:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Also, the large end is pointing towards the front of the car...
Old 06-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I crawled in there during lunch to try and get some pictures of what I was looking at before. I was able to get pictures of the area itself, but I wasn't able to get a clear shot of what I'm looking at. However, I was able to confirm that the larger area of what I'm looking at has no indentation and has a wire coming from it.

Near the oil pan, I was able to unbolt the bracket holding the pipe that's blocking my view, but this only allows me about an inch in each direction to play with on that pipe. I wasn't able to see anything, but didn't have a lot of time to look deeply.

To unhook that bracket, I basically had to take an allen wrench and make the short end even shorter. This allowed me to get to the bolt that is behind the AC lines.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here are the pictures of where I'm seeing the object in the back. I marked the area that I'm looking with a rag in one of the pictures. I'm basically looking straight up through that spot. In the other picture, I've removed the rag, but added an arrow that points to a wire that runs into the bracket I mentioned when I first uploaded those pictures.
Attached Images   
Old 06-05-2012, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK I think you are looking much too far back, though it's hard to judge depth from a photo sometimes.

I agree that the part you're looking at is not it.

I've tried to mark your pic as closely as I can to show where I think you should be looking:

So it's not far aft of the oil drain plug - as I mentioned before, it's roughly the same distance from the front of the car as the centre of the wheel is.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by divil
OK I think you are looking much too far back, though it's hard to judge depth from a photo sometimes.

I agree that the part you're looking at is not it.

I've tried to mark your pic as closely as I can to show where I think you should be looking:

So it's not far aft of the oil drain plug - as I mentioned before, it's roughly the same distance from the front of the car as the centre of the wheel is.
Yeah, that's the area I'm going to focus on. I've removed the bolts from the bracket holding the open side of that pipe in the top left of the picture. I've got a little play in there, but not a lot. I'm wondering if I can remove the mount that's on the passenger side holding those ac lines in place, and if that will give me any more room to work.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Cool...and if you haven't done lots of googling on this already, do that - given what is says in the Bentley manual, and the Blau instructions, I'm sure many people have had this exact problem before you.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by divil
Cool...and if you haven't done lots of googling on this already, do that - given what is says in the Bentley manual, and the Blau instructions, I'm sure many people have had this exact problem before you.
Yeah, that's what I figured too. I just haven't been able to find a clear answer. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 2.7t a6 crank locking pin

Found it. It's the 8mm hex bolt I was looking at on Sunday afternoon. Pulled it, put the locking tool (3252) in place and the crank is locked down solid. 1/4 swivel socked and at least a 12" extension took care of the job for me. I also have the end of that pipe unmounted, which gave me a little play with it's position. To remove the bolt under the ac lines, I cut down an allen wrench, and basically made the short side shorter.

The bolt

Bolt removed

Locking tool 3242 in place

The little bastard that's been hiding in plain site.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Happy days!

It looks completely different from the one in the 2.8 engine.

Quick Reply: TB and valve cover gasket change questions.