A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Tiptronic cars & ECU upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiptronic cars & ECU upgrades

I was reading some posts on Audizine that the A6 Tip tranny, as shared with the previous-gen S4, are designed by ZF to handle a max of 265 lb-ft. If this is true, then how are ppl chipping their cars to 350 lb-ft and beyond?
Old 02-26-2005, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think it's more like 310 lb/ft. Most chips exceed it, but that ...

... doesn't mean the tranny will blow on day one. It will probably reduce tranny life, but with regular fluid changes, it may be fine.

One thing ECU chips do is boost torque, which makes the tranny act funny. The best outcome is to get a chip for the ECU and one for the tranny (GIAC offers a package).

I don't have either, but have tried an ECU chip without a tranny chip, and it is fun but not very smooth.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:06 AM

Default Re: I think it's more like 310 lb/ft. Most chips exceed it, but that ...

I have the same car as you, '00 2.7T. Was thinking of an APR chip, but now I dunno anymore. An extra 125 lb-ft with 93 octane sounds a bit much.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the only time that its really rough ont he tranny is if you slam on the throttle where its making(+)

310 ft/lbs+ keep in mind that at most spots on the curve its much less than that...
Old 02-26-2005, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Go GIAC. The shop may give you a discount for both chips.

Find your closest GIAC shop. The transmission chip could protect the tranny, but more importantly, it makes the car more behave more normally with the extra torque. I'd consider it an essential move with a tiptronic.<ul><li><a href="http://www.giacusa.com/">http://www.giacusa.com/</a></li></ul>
Old 02-26-2005, 12:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: the only time that its really rough ont he tranny is if you slam on the throttle where its makin

I've had the APR 93 Octane program for a almost a year. Lot's of added torque, but as has been said it's a bit rough on the Tip. I'm planning to install the GIAC Tip chip in the next few weeks. I have high hopes to clean up the slow and sloppy shifts....but I'm hesitent to beleive it will do much to extend the tranny life.
Old 02-26-2005, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

i agree...faster shifts should = less life
Old 02-26-2005, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default GIAC makes a "S" chip it is a...

conservative chip (if there is such a thing) that is for tips. It makes about 300, with 1.0 bar of boost, torque is in the 310-320 range. Some vendors won't want to mess around with this, but if you ask for it you should be able to get it, Jeff Moss did mine.

Another ECU chip option is to go for the AMS ECU chip that was made specifically for the TIP. It has 300-310hp and 300lbs of torque. Their feeling was that this would help prolong the life span of the tranny. I went with GIAC do to the tip chip and did both at the same time. I have been chipped for almost 15K miles and have 60k on the car with no problems. It has really transformed the car!

If you decide to chip I would suggest upgrading other components at the same time. Get at the least the TT 225 BPV's the -710N valves, or get the MTM/Hoppen BPV or even the Forge valves. I would get the AMS Kevlar taped TBB from AMS cost is $89 and that includes their special clamps.

Now after saying all this, I will quote Ming 2.7T, "the best thing is to stay Stock and worry free"

Talk to Jeff Moss in L.A. he's a good guy and did a great job for me. jeff moss... moss@torque-factory.com
Old 02-26-2005, 03:27 PM

Default Re: i agree...faster shifts should = less life

you would think that...

but the regular tip shift program has the luxury shift built in with more slippage to make the shifts smoother...

the upgraded program shouldn't be any harder on the car... if i remember it probably just reduces the time between shift points and applies full line pressure quicker?

this is just what i can remember from what i read a long time ago, so somebody correct me please...
Old 02-27-2005, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A GIAC rep that I spoke with did not want to sell me the S chip. He said that...

... it was an "old" set of coding, and that the X chip incorporated a lot more improvements that are not in the S chip.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic cars & ECU upgrades