A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Tiptronic shifting...What is your method?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tiptronic shifting...What is your method?

When shifting in tiptronic mode is it best to keep your foot to the floor during the shift? Or is it better to let off the loud pedal until the new gear engages (almost emulating the true 6 speed method)?
Old 05-13-2003, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My method:

Put it in <b>S</b>port and go, the TIP seems so incredibly sloooooooooooow to respond. I've actually downshifted two gears before, because I thought I'd missed the first change - nothing happens for so long! Maybe if I get off the gas it will shift more quickly? Is it possible that the steering wheel buttons are slower than the gate?

But a good question, I wonder if there's a meaningful difference?
Old 05-13-2003, 08:49 AM
Rest In Peace

Keep the pedal down.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would agree that steering wheel is slower then the Gate? How does the Tip Chip affect the S6?
Old 05-13-2003, 09:18 AM
RSC
AudiWorld Senior Member

It reponds quicker if you keep your foot on the pedal. Both up &amp; down shifts.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Pedal down...but I agree with Larry...sport-mode is quickest...

Maybe I don't think the steering wheel tip is as slow as Larry does...but definitely the sport-mode is faster...it responds quite quickly to stabs at the throttle...

I almost NEVER use the tip...too difficult to keep track of what gear I'm in because the engine is too smooth and too quiet when you're not stomping on it...It is much easier to "feel" what gear you're in and whether you want or need to downshift or upshift in a smaller, louder car...
Old 05-13-2003, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Tip responds much better with the TipChip.

I drive the car like a manual now, its so much better - with no lag. At full throttle I dont think its as fast as power shifting (not letting off the gas) in a manual while slamming the next gear. That method used to provide tremendous lurches with each shift in any/all of my old stangs. But the TipChip is must faster at shifting when driving around town normally with a manual and trying to get a smooth shift in there.

But still, at the strip you can't beat the computer. Stick it in Sport, or leave it in drive.

I've had my Tip recoded plus the TipChip - and it performs like it you would have expected it if Audi did it right to begin with.

Recodes are for slightly quicker shifts, and the ability to hold 1st gear without having to floor it. I for one have seen no drop off in gas mileage with the car holding 1st gear longer.

Other than that, just leave your foot planted firmly on the carpet.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The S6 shifts much quicker than the 4.2...but it is unknown if a tip-chip will improve the S6...

Is there one available???
Old 05-13-2003, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've yet to see anyone here with a Tip chip in an S6. I had one on order from MTM last summer...

Pulled mine out and sent it to Hoppin, so MTM would have the NA S6 data, but after months of waiting and double-talk MTM basically said they'd decided not to do it until they could find a way to make it more transparent to ZF (worried about voiding warranties).

My impress of shifting in the S6 is much as the others here: Sport mode is quicker than Tip. I'm not confident whether the 'on wheel' or 'shifter lever' is quicker in Tip... both are slow, and I'm prone to double downshift in my impatience. I use the Tip mode at the track, but almost never do on the street (just D and S); more often on the street you're looking for quick responsive downshifts for lane changes, and the like, ...it's not as common that you're trying to maximize exit speed following apex. ...and, yes, pedal down is going to get a quicker response than trying to behave like you're driving a six speed. The let-off / blip bit that you do with a standard, the Tip is doing too (on it's own), and that's much of what's being altered with a Tip chip, is the length and amount of let-off that occures.
Old 05-16-2003, 11:21 AM

Default Re: I've yet to see anyone here with a Tip chip in an S6. I had one on order from MTM last summer..

So when you would race someone would you prefer to use TIP or shift it S and start?

Quick Reply: Tiptronic shifting...What is your method?