A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Torque Converter...to replace or not too replace, that is the question!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque Converter...to replace or not too replace, that is the question!!!

I am very confused and I hope that someone out there has some good advice for me. Here is my issue....I brought my 2002 Audi A6 to the dealer several weeks ago b/c my engine light was on. They said I had two problems. (1) A coolant sensor had to be replaced...no problem and (2) I needed a new torque converter...it could be done for $2000. GULP!!!!

I initially declined to have the torque converted replaced b/c other than the engine light being on, the car runs perfectly. I brought the car to another location and they too said that the codes being produced by the computer stated I also needed a new torque converter. Soon after I brought the car to the second dealer, the engine light went off. Since then (about 3 - 4 weeks), the light hasn't come back on and the car still runs perfectly. Absolutely no problems.

The dealer told me that the car may run for the next 50k miles w/o a problem (I currently only have 46k miles) or I could blow my entire transmission as soon as I pull off the lot...and that would cost $5k to fix.

Well, I finally made an appt to have it fixed. This is a painful fix as my engine light is off and the car runs perfectly. Also, the car is only worth 10 - 11k. I'm assuming both dealers wouldn't lie to me and that the computer tells them there is a problem.

Any idea what I should do? And, if I truly had a problem, wouldn't my car say so? Shouldn't I be noticing at least some problem with the car?

HELP...before I spend $2000 to fix nothing
Old 12-02-2008, 04:44 PM

Default I'd wait until you had tranny symptoms to replace at the very least. What the dealer said is ridicul

ous...the whole tranny isn't just going to blow up at once from this problem, it will be a gradual, noticeable process.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:47 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

2002? Doomed to fail at any time. Get it fixed. $2k isn't a bad deal.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Vag-com log should show you if you really have a TC problem.

It cost nothing to log it and you can go from there. Just saying....
Old 12-02-2008, 04:54 PM

Also, if I'm not mistaken, low tranny fluid can throw the alleged code.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default What is the code?

If it is lock-up clutch related, it is hard to say if it is the TC, the valve body, the L/U solenoid or oil pump pressure.

If the lock up clutch engages when cruising - watch your tach, then don't worry about it.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:31 PM

Default Thanks to everyone for the quick responses....

Thanks to everyone for the quick responses. In short...this entire situation sucks. I am scheduled to bring my perfectly running car into the shop next Monday to have it fixed. Looks like I have until then to decide what to do. I would delay, but I did convince the dealer to give me 25% off the total price b/c it is a load of crap that my perfectly running Audi with 46k miles on it that is worth only $10k or $11k needs a $2k fix in order to make sure I don't need to spend $5k if the tranny drops.

My fear is that both places I brought it to are just reading the codes coming from the computer. And...the computer says my torque coverter has sprung a leak. I'm just saying it would be nice if my car would show the slightest symptom. Sigh....
Old 12-02-2008, 05:34 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default The code is present and the problem is widespread in your model year.

Sadly, there does not appear to be much doubt, IMHO. Be glad you caught it early.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I would take it to a transmission shop for a second opinion.

The dealer is the last person to ask about the transmission. I do a lot of transmission work and I've replaced only one TC on the A6 because the owner wanted different stall speed. I am in the Chicago area. I would test your car for free.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

STFA. Common problem w/ C5 A6's. Bad seal in the TC. Don't fix unless tranny is slipping.

Quick Reply: Torque Converter...to replace or not too replace, that is the question!!!