A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Two other annoying things about the A6

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2001, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two other annoying things about the A6

1) That light on the dashboard telling you that the lights are on...is that for real? Is there any way to disable it? Ya know if I'm *looking* at the dashboard I can probably figure out that the lights are on because the rest of the dashboard is lit up.

2) Is there a way to stop the engine without the radio going off in the time it takes you to turn the key back to the starting position. My old car was an A4 and it kept the accessory power on until you took the key out, which was great. But every car I've owned in the last ten years would at least keep the power on at the first ignition position you came to, going counter-clockwise, when turning off the engine. This would allow the kids to continue listening to Radio Disney without missing 3 valuable seconds of ABC News Notebook.

Thanks.

- adam
Old 03-31-2001, 09:40 PM
Elder Member

Default some answers

1. No. Not unless you want to crack open your instrument cluster. Just ignore it, it isn't like it's that bright anyway.

2. No. The radio always turns off when you turn the car off. But you do know you can turn it back on with the key out, right?
Old 04-01-2001, 08:04 AM

Default Re: some answers

OK, stupid question...how do you turn the radio back on? Just press the power button? Can you only do this for a certain amount of time after taking the key out?

I just went and pressed the button and it didn't turn on. But I didn't run the engine first (kids are asleep, garage door would wake them).

- adam
Old 04-01-2001, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I can turn mine on with key out, even a day later. I'd try again. Think it'll stay on like 20 min.
Old 04-01-2001, 10:20 AM

Default It works, but there's still that gap

I guess I wasn't pressing the power button for long enough (a quick click doesn't do it).

But you still have that annoying gap where you stop the car and then you have to turn the radio on again. Is there some rationale for this from Audi? Thanks.

- adam
Old 04-01-2001, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I thought I was the only one!

The dash light does not bother me for on my '98 the dash lights are always on even with the lights off so that is why I believe this light is there.

But the radio thing erks me I also own an A4 and it does not shut the radio off when you turn off the ignition and no other car I know does this. Yes I know you can play the radio without the key but it is the fact that you have to do that Why? any answers on Audi's reasoning is this just on the A6 or does this go with the TT and A8 as well.
Old 04-01-2001, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Guess they thought folks might want it that way. But did you know there's a spot (more)

on the ignition switch that allows you to use the one-wipe feature on the wipers? (The other speeds may work too. Didn't try 'em.) Found this one day while sitting in the car for an extended period while waiting for some folks on a rainy day. I needed to see when they exited a store.
Old 04-01-2001, 11:37 AM
srs
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Another annoying thing about the sound system

Apparently, you can't eject a CD with the radio off. So I have to have it on and when I eject a CD the radio will automatically return to the last AM or FM station I was using before playing the CD - even if its just noise now. Even my old Subaru would allow the CD to be ejected with the radio off so I didn't have to turn the volume way down (or get blasted by some wierd radio station). Pretty annoying.
Old 04-01-2001, 02:47 PM
Elder Member

Default this system is much better than the old acc system

I'm sorry. It does have the small downside you mention, but it's better than the old system where you had to leave the key in, or where you could leave the radio on with the car off.
Old 04-01-2001, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Headlight lights are unnecessary, but not really annoying, low fuel warning sound is really freaking

me out, however. What the hell is the gas gauge for? I can tell I'm running out of gas when the needle gets close to E.
The radio, to me, is perfect. Once I figured out you can turn it back on without having to find the "accessory" zone when turning the key (doesn't really have one). I like that it goes off right away without removing the key. Sometimes I might want to have it stay on, other times, not. It doesn't know, and this is as good as any other way. There is nothing that has ever been on the radio, ever, that 3 seconds of which can not be missed.
Other than the warning alarms, I don't think anything in this amazing car bothers me!

Quick Reply: Two other annoying things about the A6