A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

UK tale of woe

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UK tale of woe

Amazing what google turns up sometime. FWIW.

It is very sad and I think it would be nice to have Audi respond, I also have had it with Audi, I currently have a A6 99 2.8Q, I love the car but
I think the Audi service centre sees it more than me, I have had so far replaced:

Front Brake Discs - Replaced @ 5000km and 15,000km
Front Brake Pads - Replaced @ 5000km and 15,000km
Drivers seat rails - 3times
Driver seat Motor - once
Cat Converter @ 10,000km
Power Steering - Factory recall Jan01
Power steering - June 01
Dash light Control - June01

These are all really expensive bits that I wouldnt like to be funding out of my own pocket !!

Most of my issues seem pretty much in line with what people are saying, this is my second Audi before this I had a A4 1.8T, I wont even start on
that one, I bought that car new and only had it for 18months before Audi Australia upgraded me to the A6, I was still really out of pocket but I
got a pretty good pricie on the A6.

Currently trying to find a 6mth yr old Mercedes CLK430.....Audi yr loss as I change my cars every 2 years !!

RG
"Al Russo" <lovebird@prodigy.net> wrote in message
news:gA3e7.2538$Sq.1143212104@newssvr16.news.prodi gy.com...
Unfortunately, I have to add my tale of misfortune to the list. I have a '98 A4 2.8Q, and while I really like the car, I think I've had
just about enough. The water pump froze at 35,000 miles and so I lost the timing belt and most of the top of the engine as well. The dealer replaced the heads, and now - guess what, at 70,000 miles the water pump is disintegrating again. Luckily, I've caught it before the timing belt let go again. AoA have really not been much help -- the dealer says that it's not that unusual for a water pump to go twice in 70,000 miles. Sure....

In the meantime, the dealer has tried to fix suspension squeaks ever since 21,000 miles. 3 control arms later, and the squeaks are still
there, and I've just about given up, since it's a fight every time to get them to treat this as a warranty item even though the problems
showed up 50,000 miles ago. BTW, in the process of testing on bumps, the dealer craked the oil pan, which took about 2 months to come from
Germany.

Other little problems like a failed ECM, broken sunroof motor, cracked windshield washer pump and a bunch of minor things like a leak in the
vacuum system, problems with the driver's seat adjustment motor and a bunch of electrical glitches (none of which ever seemed to be able to be replicated until I took out an hour or so of my day each time to test drive with the dealer technician) are really not what I expected from a
$35,000 car.

Definitely my LAST AUDI, and believe me no one is more disaapointed about that than me.

- Al Russo

P.S. - Although the brakes are very poor in the rain, I've had no problems with wear at all. In fact, after 70,000 miles, I still have plenty of pad left on both the fronts and the rears.
"lj" <ljabbott@cwcom.net> wrote in message
news63e7.8735$Bp3.125009@news2-hme0...
I,m back in a Mercedes after 3 years of unhappiness and breaking down in my ?37,000 1997 A4 2.8 Quattro tiptronic. The car was the
most unreliable I ever owned.They never fixed the intermittent strting problems.I had 7 door mirror glass replacements due to heater failures,
new climate control, faulty computer/fuel gauge (another breakdown!).
At 47,000 miles 7 months out of warranty for no discernible reason a camshaft just snapped in two.
Audi UK's attitude was -bad luck should have bought an extended warranty. Eventually after a fight I ended up ?810 poorer.The bill for
a cylinder head was over ?3,000.
I sold the car for ?11,500 - a loss in 3 years 7 months of ?25,000.
Audi are arrogant and have poor service backup while charging premium prices (dearer service than Mercedes!).
AUDI -NO THANKS!!!!!
"eBob.com" <eBob.com@totallybogus.com> wrote in message
news:tngt2kjfgqd7d1@corp.supernews.com...
I had the fading dashboard lights on my 95. My 98 has not had this particular problem. Both my 95 and current 98 had had no brake
problems. So far I have 75K on the 98 and have not needed brakes yet. (I have a long commute and only use the brakes when the horn doesn't
work and there is no sholder!)
I have had other minor problems and am thinking about trying something different the next time (maybe a RX300 or a MB 4Matic wagon).

Bob
"deuces" <deucey@netmonger.net> wrote in message
news:3B784046.74DE3650@netmonger.net...
If you plan on driving your Audi A6 50,000 miles or more during it's lifetime just be prepared to have some heavy duty and costly
maintenance done to your brakes. I've had to have mined changed 3 times in the last 30,000 miles. Audi tells me that's NORMAL. I have never
owned a car, in my 25 years of driving that required so much maintenance on it's brakes.
Also since I have been coming to this group, I found out about another problem you will probably have. Your dashboard lights will
probably begin to fade out. They did on mine and also on someone else who posted here. Only it happened to him 2 times so far.
(mustangva@home.com)

All I can say is "NEVER AGAIN. VOLVO I'M COMING BACK"