A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Used to have a BMW, now thinking about an A6

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 06:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used to have a BMW, now thinking about an A6

Alright, typical newbie to the forum, ex-BMW owner and seriously thinking of getting a used A6. Can you please tell me if this is a good deal and also a little more about the A6 (see below)?
- 1998, 2.8 Quattro with 65K miles, leather, Bose, sunroof, looks very good (minor cosmetic stuff that can be fixed), redone cam seals (I understand this is a big problem for the year), asking $14.5K
- now, the owner says there is a known problem with the front bumper being too low but I might be able to get that fixed (it's a little off due to several bottom-outs) under some sort of Audi class-action lawsuit. Any feedback on this?
- also, when is the new body style coming out - anyone know exactly, are there concept pictures etc?
- finally, what typical mods are available/you would recommend for such an old car - suspension, wheels, what type of body kits etc?

All in all, any info would be appreciated, I know very little about Audis (my friend in Europe has an A4 and RS4 and can't stop talking about Audi, same as people here who have A4s and A6s).

Thanks,
Sergiu
Old 07-02-2003, 07:23 PM

Default Re: Used to have a BMW, now thinking about an A6

Hi,

I broought mine about a month ago. 63K, equp. like yours for 12K. The car is in fair shape. Mechanically sound but comestically bad. A few panel had repainted but nothing major.
-Did the timing belt, 60K, water pump service... for 1700.00
-Did the whell balance and oil change...etc for 200.
So, if yours is in very good cond. Sounds like a good deal.
Yes, the bumper was recalled and the dealer can install some aditional clips to hold the bumper.
I heard the new one is 2005 (so will probably show up in late 2004).
You can do a search on the forum as there's a few spy pictures.
I am think the sway bar and new wheel and tires. Which seems typical for 2.8.

Oh, btw, absolutely love the car!
Old 07-02-2003, 07:45 PM

I have been lurking around this board for the past week. Im in the market for european car and im deciding between a bmw or an audi. So far im looking at the 330i and the audi a6 2.7t. The audi seems to be the best bang for the buck. Could you shed some light on why you have to decided to get an audi after owning a bmw?

rigmah
Old 07-02-2003, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Extensive FAQ compiled by Stoney - good for potential owners

<ul><li><a href="http://www.netwiz.net/~jds/files/a6_links.html">Wisdom here</a></li></ul>
Old 07-02-2003, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Had 3 series and 5 series, won't go back after A6...

I believe it depends on what you are looking for in your car. For me, the car must be available with a stick, have good road feel and drivability in any weather condition.

On dry pavement, the BMW's meet those criteria. When I had the BMW's, when it was snowing, I would drive my wife's minivan and leave the BMW in the garage. I ended up buying a Chevy blazer for the winter. After my frustration with the 3 series, BMW sold me on the premise of traction control, that turned out to be a light that blinked when you lost traction. You can put snows on the BMW, but that won't even get you close to Quattro.

I personally would not go back to BMW. BMW produces a nicely finished, well performing vehicle with good resale value, but I hate having a car that can only be driven under certain conditions. If I make a significant investment in a car, I don't want to have to check the weather before I go out. BMW has only seen fit to make the 3 series and of course the x5 available in their derivative of AWD. With Quattro available on any Audi and a 5th generation system as opposed to a 2nd generation system, the Audi has it all over the BMW.

If you are in a dry, snow free climate, Quattro is less of an issue though all wheel drive makes a control difference on any road surface.

Regarding the 2.8 that you found, if you could go up a little above $20k, you might be able to find a 2000 2.7t with similar miles and you would have a lot more car than the 2.8 in terms of performance. I don't think you will be disappointed with the Audi coming from the BMW. If the 2.8 is an automatic, you may find it feeling a little underpowered depending on the way you drive.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Had 3 series and 5 series, won't go back after A6...

I bought my BMW (manual 325i) brand new tw years ago. While an amazing car in terms of performance, quality-wise I was a little disappointed - problems after problems and completely unjustified: car overheated within 4 days, which, let's say I understood since they had thios "new generation" fan, but then it repeated 2 more times, then it leaked oil... Plus, now everyone and their mother has a 3 series (not that A6's are rare but at least I won't pay a premium price for it).

Are the 2.7's easier to squueze more performance out of (maybe with a chip)? Is that why you would recommend it?

Thanks for all the feedback,
Sergiu
Old 07-03-2003, 02:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Impressive, thanks
Old 07-03-2003, 02:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

See my reply to letitsnow's post
Old 07-03-2003, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I think that sounds a bit expensive for a car that need a ...

small amount of cosmetic work. Over here that would be about £8500 so - roughly $13500 ?

Find out if it had a new cam belt when the seals were done and maybe build in the cost of fitting a new water pump as a precaution. If you can do these yourself then it will not cost much at all as the parts are in the region of ~ $100

Colour is important, unless like plain colours, metalics are always worth more and avoid white (unless you like it). Of coutse if it is white you can use that as leverage as it not a good colour for re-sale.

Compared to a BWM - some bits are better others are not as good. I find that over here you get far more negative reaction from other drivers in a BMW than an Audi - people speeding up when you pass, not letting you pull out of side roads etc...This does not happen at all in an Audi, but that could just be here in England where BM's have a bit of a go-getting, pushy image.

My wife says she always feel sorry for any women she sees driving large BM's (especially red), because it must be their husbands car and he must be a pushy git?

Hope you enjoy, good sound choice for the money.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:38 AM

With twin turbos, the 2.7t is much faster right out of the box.

Quick Reply: Used to have a BMW, now thinking about an A6