A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Valve cover kits?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Valve cover kits?

I am tired of the oil leak, so I am going to order a kit. I was looking at the kits blauparts sells. Any reasons I need to get anything other than the basic kit?

Here is the link to the 3 versions they sell.

http://www.blauparts.com/products2.asp?cat=4313

Additionally, do I need any other special tools for the cam tensioners, ie am I pulling the timing belt off and hence require the the crank and cam locking tools?

Thanks!

Forgot to mention this is for a 2001 A6 2.7t MT car.

Last edited by Daremo_06; 12-06-2012 at 05:00 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:53 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Depends.
Which engine?
Are you interested in changing the valve cover gaskets or fixing the leaks?
Old 12-06-2012, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Depends.
Which engine?
Are you interested in changing the valve cover gaskets or fixing the leaks?
Oops forgot that vital bit of info didn't I....

2.7t

Fixing the leaks. After looking over a few faqs on oil leaks for the 2.7t, I definitely need to change the gaskets as I have 2 or 3 of the classic tell-tales for leaks caused by valve cover gaskets/tension gaskets.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:28 AM
Tech Guru

I would change cam seals, cam plugs, cam adjuster/tensioner seals and gaskets, valve cover gaskets.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To do the tensioner half moons and gaskets, you'll need the tool to compress the tensioner. It is in the enhanced Blau kit, but they also include the chain pads.

If you look at europaparts, you can customize what you want to buy and they also offer free shipping. With the tool, it's $10 less than Blau.

I've used the Blau kit before, but the valve cover gaskets didn't last very long and I was doing the job again before the next timing belt interval. I used europa the second time around, and no problems yet.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How close are you to the next timing belt service? You're likely going to need to change the front cam seals.. and that's pretty the same procedure involved with the timing belt service.. so if you can kill two birds with one stone, I'd say try to get it done @ the same time.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:47 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OGBULLYLOCDAWG
How close are you to the next timing belt service? You're likely going to need to change the front cam seals.. and that's pretty the same procedure involved with the timing belt service.. so if you can kill two birds with one stone, I'd say try to get it done @ the same time.
Very good point! This very reason is why we include cam seals in out timing belt kits.

Jason
Old 12-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning-Audi
This very reason is why we include cam seals in out timing belt kits.

Jason
Since you brought it up...

I think what you mean is:
"This very reason is why we include cam seals in *some of* our timing belt kits."

Your basic kit does not come with seals.
The Ultimate kit does not come with seals.
One must buy the Ultimate Plus kit to get 2 cam seals.

And why only 2 seals? There are four cam seals total. The belt must be removed to get to three of them. Why not include at least the three directly behind the belt...and if doing three, why not just include the fourth one?
Old 12-07-2012, 05:51 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There's one cam seal behind the left cam and one cam seal behind the right cam. I've done this job more than once there's only 2 cam seals in the front of the engine. We also include the Crank shaft seal. Replacing the rear cam seals is a whole other job in it's self.

We include two cam shaft seals and one crank shaft seal in our Ultimate Plus Kit as a convenience or "might as well since you're there to save yourself some work in the future" - Thus replacing everything in the "front" of the engine.

Jason

Last edited by ECS Tuning-Audi; 12-07-2012 at 05:56 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:31 AM
Tech Guru

There's one cam seal behind the left cam and one cam seal behind the right cam. I've done this job more than once there's only 2 cam seals in the front of the engine.
There are four cams, not two. On the front of the engine, the bank two (driver's side in the US) has a cam seal on the exhaust cam (behind the sprocket) and the cam chain tensioner/adjuster on the intake cam. The bank one (passenger in the US) has two cam seals on the front; one for the intake cam (where the cam position sensor is) and one on the exhaust cam (where the sprocket mounts). To get to the two seals on the exhaust cams, the sprockets must come off. To get to the seal on the bank one intake cam, the sprocket and the rear timing cover must come off.

Cliff notes: Three seals on the front, not two.

Replacing the rear cam seals is a whole other job in it's self.
I suppose that is one way to look it, but if you are changing all the front seals, why not do the rears while it is apart? Ditto the cam plugs and cam adjuster/tensioner seals.

I've done this job more than once there's only 2 cam seals in the front of the engine.
Are you sure you aren't thinking about the 12v engine?

Quick Reply: Valve cover kits?