A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

What Is A CamShaft Tensioner Leak Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Is A CamShaft Tensioner Leak Help

An Audi dealer has my car now. They just called and said the gaskets for the Camshafts are leaking. They said this is about a 14-hour job. Can someone help me understand what this is?

I am being told this will not be all covered by my Exclusionary warranty. I was told the warranty is bumper to bumper when I purchased it. They said some tube made the gaskets leak?

I will need to go head to head with them tomorrow about me being responsible for some of the payment and just need to understand what the repair is all about.

My warranty says it supplements the factor warranty. I asked the tech if this would have been covered 4,000 miles ago before it cam out of factory warranty and he said yes. So if it is covered under the factory warranty and my extended warranty supplements it why am I reasonable?
Old 05-04-2005, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default OK, first of all, there are two types of leaks: 1) camshaft seals and 2) cam adjuster gaskets.

The cam adjuster gasket leak is very common and is actually caused by pressurization of the engine when something in the breather system, most likely the suction pump, malfunctions.

Camshaft seals are easy to do if you are doing a timing belt job and don't add much time.

Cam adjuster gaskets are also easy to do and can be done without taking camshafts out. I did mine in a couple of hours per side this way, but you reeely have to be sure to get the mating surfaces clean or you will leak again.

Also, you have to replace the suction pump (tips only) and make sure the rest of the breather system is OK.

BTW, I don't think any of this should come out of your pocket.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: OK, first of all, there are two types of leaks: 1) camshaft seals and 2) cam adjuster gaskets.

He did say something about breather tubes causing this. He said if I tell the warranty company this is what caused it they will cover nothing. If he does not tell them I will be responsible for the tubes etc. Sounds like abunch of BS to me. The car only has 54K now and the rear dif's are also leaking.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Should be covered. Not a "wear and tear" issue.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Who's warranty do you have?

I was told that my WarrantyDirect contract would cover such things, but I've not tested it.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Portfolio
Old 05-04-2005, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That does sound like BS. Whatever the cause, it's a failure and not wear and tear or whatever

term warranty companies use to describe what they don't want to pay for.

Good luck, but I'd push like heck.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hold everything... first thing in the morning... make a call

To Audi Customer Care and explain why the car is in and how many miles it has. Audi has been know many times to either take care of this or 75% or 50%.. they will work with you, but be polite, talk about your service history, love of the car and history with the brand if you have one.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks everyone I will update today
Old 05-05-2005, 08:29 AM

Default Re: OK, first of all, there are two types of leaks: 1) camshaft seals and 2) cam adjuster gaskets.

Eric,

Would you be so kind to write-up a procedure for the cam adjuster seal procedure. AFAIK, there are two gaskets to be replaced: one that looks like a half-circle, and one is flat that goes under the adjuster. Also, did you have to compresss the adjuster? I have read many bits and pieces of this procedure but I would love to see a write-up by someone who has done it (and by doing it in 2 hours you obviously know what you are doing).
Thank you very much,
Bart

Quick Reply: What Is A CamShaft Tensioner Leak Help