A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

What have I done? I think my time on this forum may be limited...(long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2002, 10:56 AM
Rest In Peace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What have I done? I think my time on this forum may be limited...(long)

It's the end of the financial year and it's money spending time, but I did not realise this morning by just how much I'd be reducing the bank balance...

I <i>think</i> I've just bought an S8. Well, two in fact.

The story begins: Our accountant advises us that due to not being able to depreciate the book value of cars for tax purposes by as much as they actually depreciate, when you come to sell them the depreciation for tax purposes 'catches up'. Sell the cars - get a cash lump off the tax bill. Sounds like a plan with promise!

To the dealer's: Get a settlement figure on the 2 matching A6 2.7T Avants - less than the amount the dealer will pay us for them. Explain situation with pot of money to spend as long as it's before the end of the month. Ask about a pair of S6 Saloons (Sedans to you in the US). The sales manager says "If you want a deal, you need to be talking S8 really. That's where I've got the most flexibility". We laughed and laughed until we saw the very serious look on his face. He said "How about an S8 for really silly money?". "How silly?" we asked. Very silly indeed.

Basically, an S6 lists at a shade over £46,500 and there's not much in that for the dealer (4% they say). They have an obligation to sell A8s, so much so that they get huge bonuses for a set number each year, plus they get finiancial assistance for selling them. An S8 (with some options) listing at £56,797 he said we could have for £44,750!

I couldn't belive it - an S8 for only £100 more than they could sell us an S6 at if they ditch the profit in the S6 all together? Surely not? Yup, I heard him right.

They have an S8 in stock. It's Dolphin Grey with black interior, TV on the NavPlus, CD changer, Bose and multi-function steering wheel. Off the sales manager goes looking for something as similar as possible. After a false start with another Dolphin Grey (it had grey interior), we finally located a silver/black S8 with TV, CD, Bose and rear blind pack.

We've agreed a sale price on the A6s that nearly covers the deposit on the S8s after the A6 finance is paid. The repayments on the S8 are a tad higher (but not a lot), but the amount of discount we got (in the region of 20% over list if my math is right) more than covers the "new car depreciation" and the values should therefore hopefully always stay ahead of outstanding finance.

I feel a bit giddy now! I've hankered after an S8 since my dealer kindly let me <a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/84420.phtml">borrow one overnight</a> last year for a <a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/121965.phtml">test drive</a>, but what a way to get over my A6 vibration problems!

I'm not saying I've bought it yet as there's nothing actually signed, but I've shaken hands on it so it's 99.999% there. They could be here early next week, how's about that for rapid descision to drive-off?

I'll come and visit!
Old 03-07-2002, 10:56 AM
Rest In Peace

A6 forum collectively breathes a sigh of relief... ;^)
Old 03-07-2002, 11:05 AM

Default The joy of car sales

I'd read (too many) of those "how to buy a car" guidebooks, and there was always one tidbit they would dangle - the no-profit deal. How can this be, you think, no profit means go out of business?

But no, they would explain that every so often, in order to meet a quota or guarantee a good allotment, a dealership would literally let a car go for their invoice (yes, there's holdback and such, but technically it's a zero profit deal). The authors say it doesn't hurt to ask, even though dealership personnel will deny up and down that it ever happens. Sounds like you are the lucky beneficiary of such an alignment of stars.

Just please, don't watch the TV while you're driving!
Old 03-07-2002, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hey all of you who wanted me to adopt you...I think this guy is the real "daddy"...

Insane!
Excellent!
Lemme' get this straight, you're gonna buy 2 S8s that are exactly the same?
Why not a little variety, at least in exterior color (or colour, to you

More pics!
Old 03-07-2002, 11:07 AM

Who's your daddy?
Old 03-07-2002, 11:07 AM
Rest In Peace

One Dolphin Grey, one Silver. Both black interiors. Coin decides who has which!
Old 03-07-2002, 11:15 AM
Rest In Peace

The bad bit - I have to go home soon and tell my wife..........
Old 03-07-2002, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Papa, it's you!!!

Sounds like a helluva deal!
Old 03-07-2002, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The S8 is too big, too thirsty, too costly, soon to be replaced. So why do I want an S8?
Old 03-07-2002, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be worse, at least you don't have to sell the A6 for operating cash

Quick Reply: What have I done? I think my time on this forum may be limited...(long)