A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

What will different springs/struts do for me?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2001, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What will different springs/struts do for me?

Have 2000 2.7T that does not feel as solid as I would expect. I have the regular suspension which is very forgiving over large bumps/dips, but produces a weird sort of jiggle/jello feeling on most road surfaces. Sensation usually comes through the foot that is resting on the accelerator, probably through the floor.

Would different springs/struts, or something else, give this car a more solid feel? My interest is in a smoother ride, especially on the highway, not better high-speed maneuvering.
Old 03-01-2001, 05:14 PM

Default Re: What will different springs/struts do for me?

no. the car is not a bmw its tructure neeeds to be heavier. I have Ebachs springs and bilsteins and while it handles much better you still can feel everything underneath
Old 03-01-2001, 06:18 PM

Default Try progressive rate springs (eibach if available) with good dampers (ie bilstein) .

The shocks on the car are too soft, primarily. Eibach progressive rate springs (had them on an older car, don't know if available yet for the 2.7) will likely only lower it an inch from non-sport height and provide a soft zone for absorbing harshness, but prevent the sort of wallowing you dislike.

Good dampers will also help, as will sway bars, though the latter are not imperative to your goal.

Suspension tuning is personal and scientific, so you must know what you are doing to get it right. Best thing is to drive a similar car with a setup you like and replicate it on your car.

Structural rigidity is not your problem.
Old 03-01-2001, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have driven the Bilstein aftermarket suspension.

Much much better without getting busy ! IMHO it is better than the PSK and rivals the PST for different reasons. The PST is smoother and perhaps a tad more floaty than the aftermarket/ parts dept. Bilsteins.The bigger footprint as well as the lower profile tire do enhance feedback on the PST. If the roads are really rough, or there are a lot of grooves in the roads, upgrade to the equivelent of the PST package. If you go to the aftermaket Bilsteins. they really do lock the car down with an amazingly low trade-off. Keep in mind that you would need to be thinking last gen. BMW M3 kind of ride. Firm but not crashing.

Those Bilstein upgrades are hard to come by, but try AMS at 949-515-1672.
Old 03-01-2001, 08:00 PM

Default April: your talking non-Quattro, right?

I installed the Eibach lowering springs on '00 2.7T A6. Apparently Eibach has shelved dev on a companion "damper" set. Supposedly Bilstein has "quattro" product under dev ? Do you have any add'l thoughts & insights re; "shocks". Reside in LA. Thanks!
Old 03-01-2001, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I know that Marc at AMS was hot for the set-up because he drives a 2.7t

Yes, the versions I have driven have been front traks. I think KW has coilovers. The coilovers may be too harsh for what you want.

See if Hemant is still lurking around the forum. He was very interested in upgrading his suspension, and was thinking about all of his options.
Old 03-02-2001, 05:29 AM

Default April: suspension upgrade advice for non-PSK owners requested (see detail)

I have a '01 6 spd 2.7T w/all options except for sport, nav, and phone. I just acquired a set of the 4.2 5 spoke polished alloy sport wheels for warm weather use. I'll be running 235/45-17 Potenza RE730's.

(Do you see any problems running those wheels on a 2.7?)

I'm kicking myself for not getting the PSK package for the firmer suspension and lower stance. I've been researching suspension upgrades for some time now. It seems the Eibach Pro kit is the most commonly used upgrade. I'm mostly concerned about the car getting lowered too much/looking "slammed". I suppose lowering the car approx. 1.5" would be fine, but I've read some posts that stated it was closer to 2" after the springs settled. I'd like to achieve the ride height equivalent to the PSK suspension.

I quickly read your earlier post regarding suspension. Bilstein struts are avail. for 2.7's??? I thought the word on the street was they were "under development". What springs are these used with? (Eibach pro's?)

What would you recommend as a safe, cost-effective suspension upgrade that will lower the car (closer to the PSK ride height) and improve handling without producing too harsh a ride?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-02-2001, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'm still here!

With the Eibachs, car desperatly needs stiffer shocks. I am talking with AMS now about a possible Koni solution. Should have it figured out next week.
Old 03-02-2001, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

You'll be ready by April 22/23 ? Come and play at the Alfa driving school !
Old 03-02-2001, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default When do I have to sign up by? I might have an overseas trip

that may thwart my plans. But if I can make it I will definitely do my best to be there. BTW, where is it? Please send registration info to hemant@jaycopanels.com

Quick Reply: What will different springs/struts do for me?