A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

What's a good source for cross drilled rotors for a 2.7T? TIA.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2001, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's a good source for cross drilled rotors for a 2.7T? TIA.
Old 07-27-2001, 09:59 AM

Default Reasons for getting cross-drilled rotors?

More prone to corrosion and cracks... slotted rotors are a better option for normal street use. To me, cross-drilled rotors are really just for show on cars like these.
Old 07-27-2001, 10:46 AM

Default They are essential for road cars from one school of thought.....

Vented and crossdrilled rotors dissipate heat better than solid slots. Solid slots are throw away on the race circuits and are used to keep pads clean and biting throughout one race. I don't intend to track my car so I just need intermittant fade control. I'm not changing calipers because just a little more thermal insulation is needed for my application. These will be met with Mintex Reds/ATE Super Blue and the rotors being sought. The main reason to run crossdrills is very simply for rain. When rain gets hot, it becomes steam. Steam between the rotor and pad make for a non-all weather road race car. Although, drilling a rotor may potentially decrease the structural integrity of the rotor; road race uses are not going to reach the sustained heating that the same car would meet at the track. The additional cooling of the holes and vents should keep even the most avid road racer in a nice safe "cool" envelope with a higher coefficient of friction with semi-metallic pads and the lower mean rotor surface temps, IMO. They are standard on Porsches and Ferraris for more than appearances. Any sources? TIA.
Old 07-27-2001, 11:41 AM

Default You may want to check this site

They have a lot of info on Audi brake systems. Incidentally, they don't recommend cross-drilled rotors. I quote from their website:

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Cross-drilling: another item that should be banished except for racing. Cross-drilling was "invented" by Porsche in the mid-70s for its IMSA racers as a way of lightening the rotors to
reduce unsprung weight (sound familiar?). Cross drilling looks neat and all, but it also weakens the rotor, leaving it susceptible to cracking. It will also cause increased wear of the
pads.

What you're probably looking for is better outgassing of the pads and better grip in the rain. "Slotting" the rotors will give you just what you're looking for.<ul><li><a href="http://www.bira.org/">http://www.bira.org/</a</li></ul>
Old 07-27-2001, 01:57 PM

Default Thanx. Well acquianted w/ BIRA philosophy. BTW, new brake compounds "gas" 80% < yesteryear and

Porsches and Ferrari road cars come with cross drilled rotors on current models. They are the best sports cars on the planet, IMO. I didn't intend this thread to rehash the decade old slots vs. cross drilled debate, just to procure the rotors. Here's a Porsche web page with some limited info that is also interesting representing the other head on the coin. <ul><li><a href="http://www.porsche.com/english/911/models/c4coupe/safety/braking.htm">Porsche Braking Propaganda</a></li></ul>
Old 07-28-2001, 05:16 PM

Default They look cool, but they crack....

I run slotted rotors on my 944S2 track car with good results, everyone I talk with replaces their cross drilled (even cast hole versions) rotors prior to the wear limit due to crack propogation. YMMV.
Old 07-28-2001, 08:02 PM

Not tracking my A6, but if I do will get slots. Any sources on crossdrilled rotors? TIA.