A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

When is it time to declare your car a "beater"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just for your reference, the dealer down below is advertising an '03 6sp with 61k miles...

for $13,750 (he will be lucky to get much over $12) and that car is a model year younger, has 12k less miles on it, has been serviced recently, and comes with a 6 month warranty.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default $220/hr? Where do you live?

We charge about half that, we are an Audi dealer here in RI (and we're one of the best - only dealer in the country to win Audi's top "magna" award 3 years straight). We have every certification possible - R8, RS cars, W12, etc - so they don't have any technical edge over us. I have no idea how they justify that labor rate.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: $220/hr? Where do you live?

Well I would love to bring my car to you. I live in Maryland and the dealer I'm talking about is Tischer Audi in Silver Spring. I bought the car at Rockville Audi which has a notorious record for bad service as I found out the hard way. After my warranty ran out I started using Tischer since people have said in the Mid-Atlantic forum that they're not as bad as Rockville. When the service tech. said today that replacing the oil cover would cost $2200 in labor for 10 hours of work, it didn't occur to me to challenge the quoted a rate of $220/hr. which is pretty damn outrageous even for a dealership. I'm an engineer with two advanced degrees and I can assure you that even taking into account my company benefits I probably make about half of $220/hr. Tischer's mechanics must have one hell of a 401K plan. (yeah right)
Old 12-17-2008, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Just for your reference, the dealer down below is advertising an '03 6sp with 61k miles...

Thanks for suggesting that I don't really have a major problem. That makes me feel a little better since I've pretty much already decided I'm not going to cough up all this money for phantom problems. At the same time though I'm really dismayed to hear that my estimate for a $13K book value is probably way beyond a realistic value. It really boggles my mind that my 6 1/2 yr. old Audi that has lived in my garage and essentially still looks like its brand new inside and out, is actually worth less than a 2002 HONDA CIVIC! Maybe its Audi's outrageous dealership service labor rates that makes these cars loose so much value. How else can you explain such a massive loss in value in just 6 years? Something's wrong with this picture.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:38 PM
GBW
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ditch this dealer. I would question every repair they've suggested and get a second opinion.

What they've suggested are not the common issues, and that rate is utterly unbelievable. Don't forget, as an Audi Club of North America member, many dealers offer 10% to 20% discounts on parts and labor (it varies by dealer).

These cars, properly maintained will last a long, long time. There are several with 200,000+ miles that are not beaters.

Look for recommendations on your local forum, it might be worth looking at well respected independent shops also. On some of my large repairs, I've put them out to bid to trusted shops. With the Audi Club discount, the local dealer is always competitive and gets most of my business. I'm paying the dealer half of your rate....not including the discount.

I'm so appalled, I'd never go there. They must have no conscious.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 75 Posts

Hmm...I go to Tischer too and I didn't think it was $220. Guess I'll look again!
Old 12-17-2008, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Ditch this dealer. I would question every repair they've suggested and get a second opinion.

Thank you! You have stated pretty much my feelings exactly. I have notice how they nonchalantly come up with these incredible quotes as if I must be standing there like I'm wearing a tuxedo and top hat. It never seemed even remotely reasonable that these non-debilitating problems should cost so much to fix. Tonight I also discovered large gobs of grease all over my hood and even on the roof of the car, so yeah I'm done with this dealer. I just have to figure out how to continue to maintain my car without getting take to the cleaners in the process. Thanks for the Audi Club suggestion. I'll definitely look into it.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Hmm...I go to Tischer too and I didn't think it was $220. Guess I'll look again!

I just rechecked my bill and it says "Cust has oil leak coming from the upper oil pan $2200.00 Cust declined to have repairs done at this time".

So yeah, check your old bills and quotes because the guy definitely said this was 10 hours of labor and at $2200 that comes to $220/hr.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: It's always cheaper to keep her. That said, it's about what you want, not $.

Yeah I sort of lust for the "sweet perfumed inner thigh of the S5", (interesting description...), but I'm now completely disillusioned with Audi and their horrendous lost of value in such a short period of time. I bought my '02 2.7T for $53K in cash in May 2002. Now people are telling me I'd be lucky to get $8K or $9K for it 6 1/2 years later with 73K miles on it. That takes my breath away and definitely make me pause in consideration of getting another Audi; (no matter how gorgeous their interiors are).
Old 12-17-2008, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Your car is not a beater, but your dealer is. Find a good indy shop

Thanks. That's what I needed to hear!

Quick Reply: When is it time to declare your car a "beater"?