A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Who was it on here who has links with a European shipping agency? (for importing cars)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who was it on here who has links with a European shipping agency? (for importing cars)

i wanted to get a car imported, but i lost contact with whomever posted a while back about him knowing a shipping agency.

any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:37 PM

Second that - I would love to get one of the new MGs or Oettinger tuned S3
Old 09-11-2003, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Basic info thanks to the A8 forum

Here is a break down of the trials and tribulations of importing a Euro vehicle to the US.

1) There are three US agencies you have to deal with: DOT, Customs, and EPA. DOT dictates that all headlights, taillights, and turn signals must have DOT stamped on them, or they are non-spec; in addition, bumpers and safety equipment must be either certifiable or testable. On the A8/S8, not too much of a problem: the headlamps need to be changed, as do the front turn signals, but the rear ones are stamped. They are also requiring me to change out my entire instrument cluster, just to correct the speedo; very serious overkill here.

2) Customs only cares that you pay the proper duty; US servicemen and government employees are usually exempt, everyone else pays. If you have owned the car for more than a year, and have an invoice, they will let you depreciate the car and then charge you a 2.5% duty. If you have bought the car new, and want to import, you will probably be liable for around 25% of the value, in addition to any luxury or gas-guzzler taxes that may apply.

3) EPA requires that the O2 sensors are all changed, as well as the vapor canister and the cats; after that, the car has to undergo testing. The cost for the test is $3500; no exceptions for cars without an EPA sticker on them somewhere. There is the possibility of a waiver: if the car is an antique or of special interest (it will be shown, driven less than 3K miles per year) a waiver is possible.

4) Dealers and garages cannot import vehicles; only a select group of firms that are on the registered import list can bring vehicles into the country. As they are under bond from the time they hit the port to the time they are converted, dealers and owners are not legally allowed to touch the vehicles until they are complete. The RI charges a fee ($2500), plus labor for all required changes ($90/hour, for a total of about $1000). The RI will handle all paperwork on this side, up to titling and registering the vehicle. On the export side, there are firms in Europe (and some dealers) that will undertake the first steps (export registration, etc.) and get everything ready for the RI.

5) Shipping is the cheap part: from most of the rest of the world, RO-RO runs about $700 to 900, while containerized is about $1300. Insurance is extra (about 3% of value), but be aware that 99.9% of insurance companies will not cover small dents, dings, or scratches; only major damage is covered, as well as loss.

6) The main parts for any modern German vehicle will pretty much be standard:

Headlamps, signal lenses, taillights, cats, O2 sensors, ODBII (if not already present), instrument panel (speedo/odo)

You can't keep anything that is removed from the vehicle; according to DOT, all parts have to be destroyed or shipped out of the country.

I would try Sun Imports(ers) for the LA area. They've been doing it for a long time.
Old 09-12-2003, 03:28 AM
CEB
AudiWorld Super User

Default E.H. Harms is one of the largest.....

...website is harms.de
Old 09-12-2003, 05:01 AM

Very informative... Thanks! I'd love to import a Peugeot one of these days.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:06 AM

Wow! Great info, I better start saving and learn how to be patient.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Large displacement cars drop in value very quickly in Europe. The displacement

taxes are high, so the folks wanting ( and able to afford ) the big engined cars, tend to turn them over fairly often. I've had friends bring over special versions of Alfas that are mechanically similar to the car already here, and the bill to import and certify them is around $7K. It can be more or less. Usually more. Takes lots of hand holding.