A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Why should we have to pay for our SKC code?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 05:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why should we have to pay for our SKC code?

I am getting tired of this AOA crap. I own a car have the title and should be able to get my code for keys ECU etc. I can understand warranty issues but hell I am out of warranty. I quess I wouldn't mind a one time fee, but everytime I want to do something to the car with my vag com (change, ECU or dash instruments, add or recode keys etc). I have called AoA and they say it is up to the dealer as to the policy. Any idea what we should do or does anyone care?
Old 05-06-2005, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why do you need this code? Do other manufacturers release this data or

are owners forced to spend their own time and money to figure them out? I'm guessing if you need the codes to maintain the car, then they should be available to you. If it is to modify the car, they don't need to, since it might violate the (longer) emissions warranty. Just thinking out loud.....
Old 05-06-2005, 07:09 AM

Default I need for Vag Com Issues

I would like to get keys made I would like to swap ECU's etc. I am outside emmission warranties as well. I appreciate the difficulty in getting codes for protection and theft reason, but it is my car and thus I should have my code!
Old 05-06-2005, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does Mercedes or BMW offer this service? How about other manufacturers?

I'm just pointing out that this doesn't seem the norm for any brand that comes to mind at the moment, nor is it in the realm of what most owners would need during car ownership.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Why should we have to pay for our SKC code?

I had a new fob programmed for my car at the dealer today, and the dude who did it explained how it works. Apparently, they dont even know the codes. The have to go to an online audi site and enter in the vin and some other code from the ecu, and it gives them a code on the fly or something. He said this is done, so Audi knows exactly how many keys are out there that will start that car or something. since i have bad memory, this is a watered down explanation of what the tech told me.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:21 AM
PJH
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Why should we have to pay for our SKC code?

This is true. The tech no longer can see the code. Without this code you are obligated to return to the dealer for key programing and ecu change. Since I just ran out of warranty I would prefer to visit an independent garage but they would not be able to perform certain repairs that require the SKC code. I have Vag-Com and this software also requires the "secret code" for the above programing.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Why do you need this code? Do other manufacturers release this data or

I need my code to replace one key that has a broken remote control and I refuse to pay the dealer $200 to do it. Why AUDI is keeping my key from me?