A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

WTF? You mean to tell me...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF? You mean to tell me...

You mean to tell me that some jack-a-mo at best buy knows how to install a remote start in a 2001 A6 Avant and no one here has made a walk through?! I am astounded... Yes, I know you need a by pass and it has to have a spare key in it, but really? No one can write up a decent walk through with locations of clusters and how to hook up the by pass, and remote start? I question this forums integrity when it allows 18year BB techs to out do them.

I am sorry to be so hard but that seems... sad... If I decide to do it, I will post it... somewhere.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Killmon
You mean to tell me that some jack-a-mo at best buy knows how to install a remote start in a 2001 A6 Avant and no one here has made a walk through?! I am astounded... Yes, I know you need a by pass and it has to have a spare key in it, but really? No one can write up a decent walk through with locations of clusters and how to hook up the by pass, and remote start? I question this forums integrity when it allows 18year BB techs to out do them.

I am sorry to be so hard but that seems... sad... If I decide to do it, I will post it... somewhere.
its not that we dont know how, but any one who knows one thing about audi's/VW's is that you dont **** around with the electrical system. i dont even want to think wht that BB tech could have fucled up and you wont see till the worst possible time...
Old 12-10-2009, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm guessing Best Buy doesn't really *know* how, but that isn't going to stop them attacking it & tossing it together. Not sure I would totally trust them.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Maybe the fact that no one here "claims" to know is a sign that it's not easily done?

If it makes you feel any better, my friend who has been in the business for 20 years won't touch an Audi (or Saab or Volvo or Benz or ....) for remote starters. Says it's not worth the hassle to do it right.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wow, I am a Physics and philosophy of logic grad student {non-traditional, so I have been around a while}. Sooooo, there is one thing that I do “know” and that is that the only thing that is rocket science, is rocket science... and I am having a hard time believing that this comes anywhere close.

I get that electrical can be tricky, but it is electrical, meaning there is a truth value to it –if you hook it up right, it will work. If you do not, it will not… there is no magic to physics, just laws. So, whoever knows how to do it right should post it up.

The worth it argument holds no water -Something is worth it if you do it right, nothing is if you do it wrong…. Sound to me like folks either know how to do it, but are too lazy to post it up, or they do not know how to do it… either is fine, but the only other option is impossible and that does not seem to be the case. I would argue that if a BB tech can do it half assed and make it work, an Audi Tech can do it and do it right. So where are they?

I will see what I can learn from other recourses.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Ok, well knock yourself out. When I say "worth it", the amount of time that my friend's shop would have to spend installing it would cost more than the device itself.

Having said that, a younger tech in their shop might have tricks up his sleeve, I'll ping him later.

I'm not a huge fan of cutting into wires that cause the car to run.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:23 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Your logic is poor. Go ahead and have Best Buy hack that in. The real expense comes in a few years when the car has some mysterious issue and the high dollar car tech has to pull all that mess out and return the wiring to stock to fix the car.

Your statement about electricity, while true, oversimplifies the process. Audi wiring can be tricky, with "virtual grounds" and multiple systems tied together.

I view this as a "fools rush in where angels fear to tread" situation. In the long run, it might be cheaper and easier to build a garage.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a viper remote start/alarm in my truck and it's great but I wouldn't want it on my audi. My viper is one of the best alarms with it's 2way remote and everything but for most newer cars you have to put the spare key within 6" of the keyhole (usually in the dash) plus cut your ignition wires and basically hotwire your car with the alarm. Its great on cheaper cars without alarms but its a waste on a 50k new car. Plus why would you want to carry your switchblade keyfob and an alarm keyfob? I love only having one key and not needing a keychain and other keys. I'm sure it's easy to be done I just think there's not much demand for remote start here on the forums. Maybe you should make a writeup? check on www.the12volt.com for a writeup they have them for like every car. here you go http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...eard/Audi.html. Good luck!!
Old 12-10-2009, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Wow, I am a Physics and philosophy of logic grad student {non-traditional, so I have been around a while}\
obviously youve never worked extensively on these cars and their various electrical subsystems, they are very close to "rocket science" if fact i would wager "rocket science" is easier all you have to do is create thrust and achieve escape velocity, for what its worth, im in my 6, 7th year of college? and although the last two were spent persuing a business major the first five were split between bio and electrical engineering, so im not just ****ing around when i say audi's have GEH electrical systems that are overly complicated and VERY VERY easy to mess up. seriously these electrical parts can be damaged and are expensive to replace.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wow, I am a Physics and philosophy of logic grad student {non-traditional, so I have been around a while}. Sooooo, there is one thing that I do “know”.
Wow, what kind of wiener throws around his education that he hasn't even completed yet... don’t upset the men on this forum by questioning their intelligence... these are the authorities on your beloved Audi

Quick Reply: WTF? You mean to tell me...